Malt Variety Blend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malt Variety Blend

I wanted to know if anyone has any insight on blending of bulk 2 row malt. What are the advantages vs Disadvantages of blending different 2 row varieties.
    I am talking about actual barley varieties and not malt varieties to be clear.

Most blending is done purely to meet customer specifications.
    Maltster
    Joe White Maltings
    Adelaide, Australia

Comment

Malt Variety Blending

I agree with the comment made above. Malt made from different varieties of barley is blended to meet consumer specifications. There are a few barley varieties that are distinctive enough to warrant selling as a single variety, and this is not uncommon. Maris Otter is an obvious example. Copeland is another in our opinion, albeit more subtle than the first example. It would be exceedingly difficult to detect the difference in two otherwise identical beers where one was brewed with say 100% Metcalfe, and the other 50/50 Metcalfe Harrington or similar.

If a brewer were to specify a single barley variety supply they would very likely have to give wider ranges for a number of parameters so that the maltster could supply their needs from that single variety.

Comment

Base Malt Blend

Do most brewers use a blend of malts for their base? If so is part Pils, part Pale Malt, part Munich or likewise or something different.
        Thanks for the info above.

Comment

Working...
        X