20 BBL JV Northwest Mash Tun question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 BBL JV Northwest Mash Tun question

Hello all...we are in the process of building out our brewery, and purchased a used 20 BBL 3-vessel JV Northwest system (build date in 1997 or 1998). While the system overall is in good shape (just a little dust and dirt here and there), we are having one issue that I could use some advice with. The mash tun is fitted with a grain-out sweep..which is a good thing...but the drive for the grain-out sweep is located on the bottom of the mash tun. This gizmo consists of a drive motor, and a gearbox that allows the proper amount of torque to move the sweep. Anyway, our was leaking a combination of gear oil and something that smelled similar to swamp water. We managed to successfully remove the sweep, bushings, etc but the motor and gearbox are not budging. We can still brew, but we will need to remove this eventually to have it repaired. Does anyone have any ideas? We've tried several different ways of trying to loosen it up to no avail. The brand is SEW-Eurodrive. Here is a picture:

Click image for larger version

Name:	drive.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	193164

Thanks!

Jim Matt
    Head Brewer, Rhinegeist Brewery

Gearbox

Jim,
    Sometimes there are what is called a jack screw hole. There are threaded holes in the flange that is attached to the tank. You would need to put bolts into the jack screw holes. This allows you to screw the bolts in which in turn pushed the flange away from the tanks.
    I am not sure however if this gearbox has the jack screw holes.

Good luck. PS make sure you don't drop it when it comes lose.

Jim Baker Flores Automation.
    262-720-1104

Comment

thx!

Thanks Jim, I'll look for those. We were planning on using some 4x4s on a jack to support it. :-)

Comment

Contact Phil Loen at JV Northwest. he is a nice guy and will help.
        I am thinking that a steam blast might free it up.
        Mike Lanzarotta
        Commercial Real Estate Broker
        finding space for breweries in Southern California
        former owner and brewer, Crown City Brewery, Pasadena CA

Comment

Thanks Mike, I've been in contact with Bill Hamburg and he gave me some ideas. If it doesn't work, then I'll call Phil.

Jim Matt
          Head Brewer, Rhinegeist Brewery

Comment

Working...
          X