Bag filter to remove dry hops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bag filter to remove dry hops?

We dry-hop one of our main brands with pellets. I am looking for a way to remove the hops before the beer is filtered through our lenticular filter.

I was thinking of a nylon bag filter... any other ideas?

I am looking for an inexpensive way of course, we are only looking for something to remove the hop powder that is in the beer.

Looking forward to hearing your helpful ideas, Cheers!
    Niagara Oast House Brewers

2017 Niagara Stone Rd.
    Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0
    kevin@oasthousebrewers.ca
    T: 289-868-9627

If you allow them time to settle, you should be able to run them off from a conical, or use an upstand / thimble, or racking takeoff point above the hop debris level. Otherwise the only realistic way I am aware of / can think off is that used in larger breweries - a centrifuge
    dick

Comment

Email sent

I sent you an email with contact info for a bag filter we use for just that purpose in our 15bbl brewhouse.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by porter View Post
        I sent you an email with contact info for a bag filter we use for just that purpose in our 15bbl brewhouse.

Cheers!
        Can you post that info?
        Gene Declue
        Head Brewer/Owner/Head Beer Geek
        Rock & Run Brewery and Pub
        www.rockandrunbrewery.com

Comment

GW Kent has one called the SuperStrainer that would probably work. It has a coarse stainless mesh and optional finer bags and is all TC. Also if you want more variety Waukesha-Cherry Burrel has an assortment of sizes and configurations and a larger selection of bag types. Bag strainers are pretty common you just have to look for a sanitary design.

Comment

We put our pellets in a large coarse nylon bag from BSG. It is weighted and submerged from top manway and is tied so it hangs and can be easily removed post filtration. Hops might not be as efficiently utilized but works great.

Comment

Working...
            X