Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast Inactivation prior to Disposal

Hi All,

I've been searching this thread looking at different methods of yeast disposal and what I would really like to do is give it to the guy who takes our spent grains. He feeds the grain to hogs, and from what I've read, yeast should be inactivated before it's fed to hogs as it can apparently cause some digestive issues if it's not. At this point, heat inactivation isn't incredibly practical for us, so I've been trying to find some information on chemical inactivation. I've seen several mentions of using formic acid or propionic (propanoic) acid, but I haven't been able to find any information on how much to use anywhere.

So my question would be is there anyone doing chemical inactivation of their yeast before it's used as animal feed? Does anyone know where I can find some solid information on using formic or propanoic acid for inactivating the yeast?

Another note: we're not brewing every day, so I don't always have hot spent grains to mix with the yeast. That seems to be one method some people use for heat inactivation.

Thanks for your responses.

Corey

some good info here. (Handbook of Brewing)

Pax.

Liam
    Liam McKenna
    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Working...
    X