Keg Stamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keg Stamp

Does anyone know if Kegs are required to be stamped with their max working pressure? Also is there any requirement for other text to be stamped in the keg.

My questions are related specifically to the keg itself and not labels that are submitted to ttb for approval...Ex govt warning, beer name, package volume...and so on.
    Cheers!
    -Alan

Yes, kegs used in the USA need to be stamped with a maximum working pressure. Any certified pressure vessel needs to be stamped by the manufacturer, or labeled "do not operate under pressure" or similar.

Sounds to me like you're dealing with an overseas keg manufacturer.

After that poor dude lost his life over at Redhook trying to clean a plastic keg, you can expect more scrutiny of keg markings and practices.

Comment

Hi Alan,

Based on our requests from our US clients, Government Warning seems to be the only must-have mark.
      However, with that being said, it is always a good idea to have detailed manufacture info on the keg (production date, volume, thickness, pressure,etc).
      Frank Yu

frank@majorbeerkeg.com
      M: +86 139 5821 1609

China Major Beer Keg Co., Ltd.
      No. 626, Jinshan Road, Jiangbei District, Ningo City, China

Comment

I repeat, pressure markings are required on vessels that support 15 psi or more. This is the case in 25 states, PR, USVI, and Guam. Also Canada requires markings for all pressure vessels, as does the CE. Don't mess around. If a vessel is put on a washer or filler without markings, and it blows, you have zero liability protection. The better keg manufacturers mill weak spots into their walls (usually the bottom, actually) to ensure the vessel will rupture at or near 5/4 of the working capacity.

There is no requirement for the marking to be embossed. If you get kegs that are NOT embossed, call the manufacturer, get the spec, and have decals made that reflect the correct working pressure. Same goes for the gov't warnings...they can be on decals or even keg collars. But the working pressure and liability info must be "permanently affixed."

Comment

Hi Natrat,

Thanks for the post.

The government warning, which is usually engraved on top dome, will come with a pressure marking, which goes"This container will repture if pressurized above 60 P.S.I". I believe this is what you are referring to.

PS: the weak spot on the bottom dome, is what we call "burst disc", which is widely adopted by European breweries. Its repture pressure is customizable, while most want it to be 40 bar.

Cheers.
          Frank Yu

frank@majorbeerkeg.com
          M: +86 139 5821 1609

China Major Beer Keg Co., Ltd.
          No. 626, Jinshan Road, Jiangbei District, Ningo City, China

Comment

Working...
          X