Plastic Fermenter Inspections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic Fermenter Inspections

I am in planning stages of a nano brewery and was debating on plastic fermenters to save on upfront start up costs but with talking to the state inspector he is pretty much saying it is not an option due to the threads on the bulkhead fitting in direct contact with the product. So my question is how are some of you guys using them getting around that or is it that Wisconsin has tougher rules? Any help on this would be great.

He/She is right to question threads on a "sanitary" tank. They shouldn't have threads in contact with the product. Ever. This is poor tank design. Besides being made from plastic. But then I've seen threads on many pieces of equipment that is supposedly "sanitary". Like DE filters. There's threads all over most of them. Do yourself a favor and get the funds to buy nice equipment. Maybe used. But not plastic threads. Just my 2 bits.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

why is your inspector looking at your kegs? You didn't ask them to did you? Rule of thumb is don't ask regulators to look at something. Let them tour your facility and they will tell you what needs attention.

I have plastic kegs and bought them for the same reason you are considering: they're cheap. and nobody is cheaper than I but for a few dollars more you can get a good import keg that is stainless. I have had no problems with the PKA kegs but once I started my spear pulling program I realized what a PITA they are. I would challenge that the screws are touching th e product. there is a gasket inbetween the product and the threads.

Also I love Theresa. I lived east of there years back and actually looked at buying the old brewery back in the late 90's (1990's that is). Good luck

Tim
      Tim Eichinger
      Visit our website blackhuskybrewing.com

Comment

The inspector was talking about the 3bbl plastic fermenters not the kegs. I brought up the threads because i have worked with the inspector in my area for about 10 years in a dairy plant so I know what he usually picks on so I wanted to get ahead of the curve. They have come down on us really hard the last 1-2 years on a lot of things that use to be fine and are now unacceptable. I know dairy is a different set of rules but it is the same inspector coming through. I would hate to buy 4 of these and then not be able to use them and yes I would love stainless first but you can only stretch a buck so far worst case scenario it pushes the dream off another year or two.

So I am guessing most people that are running the plastic fermenters are just getting lucky with there inspections and not using any special fittings?

Tim I will say I like Pembine area more I use to ride the 4 wheeler trails up there a lot. Do you have a place close to Theresa to get my hands on some of your brews?

Jason

Comment

Worst case, you could use one or two of them for reclaiming water during heat exchange if they shoot you down...
          Kevin Shertz
          Chester River Brewing Company
          Chestertown, MD

Comment

It seems like you could make a bulk head that has all of the threads sealed to the outside.

Comment

The custom bulkhead has crossed my mind.

Comment

OK. I'm an idiot. The dairy inspectors understand dairy but not beer. I know a couple of other guys in rural areas who have had issues with their state guys because of a dairy background. I use plastic and have been for over 3 years and they work fine even with threads. convincing your guy may be more difficult however. beer is not milk and correct me if I am wrong but the pathogens that can thrive in milk cannot live in an environment with alcohol in it. maybe if you could find a third objective source that can explain that you may be able to convince your inspector.

our beer is primarily distributed in Milwaukee and around pembine.

give me a call in you want to discuss further

715-324-5152
                Tim Eichinger
                Visit our website blackhuskybrewing.com

Comment

He said if I sent him some pictures so he knew exactly what I was talking about that it could possibly pass. But then 6 months later another guy shows up and says he dont like it so now they want it changed. His biggest concern was being able to clean the threads so I do understand were he is coming from. Over the weekend I found 1 company that makes a s/s bulkhead with a tri-clamp and if I get the full drain tank with the 2" male thread I can make it so no threads are exposed and that should keep them all happy for now lol.Click image for larger version

Name:	bulkhead.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	190162

Comment

I also wanted to go with plastic but wanted to avoid threads. So here is where I got to but as of right now am at a hold. Get a tank with male threads on the bottom drain, buy a HDPE rod that is larger than the hole in the bottom of the tank, have it milled to correct size with tri clamp fitting on one end, get a glue that can bond HDPE (found one but forgot what it is) or use my plastic welder to weld it in to place, wala, plastic tank with no threads and tri-clamp fittings. There is a company that makes HDPE tri-clamp parts but they are some where around $170 a peice of a $2 peice of plastic with a bad mill job.

Comment

Originally posted by FowlBrew View Post
                      He said if I sent him some pictures so he knew exactly what I was talking about that it could possibly pass. But then 6 months later another guy shows up and says he dont like it so now they want it changed. His biggest concern was being able to clean the threads so I do understand were he is coming from. Over the weekend I found 1 company that makes a s/s bulkhead with a tri-clamp and if I get the full drain tank with the 2" male thread I can make it so no threads are exposed and that should keep them all happy for now lol.[ATTACH]11182[/ATTACH]
                      Those are nice looking fittings.
                      Full drain 110 gal plastic tanks have threads build in the tank.
                      Non full drain tanks have a bulkhead.

Where did you find those fittings?

Comment

I did a lot of searching and was about to talk to a machine shop I do work with and see how much to have them make something then I stumbled across this company.

Elevate your wine's flavor profile with Flextank's high-quality oak adjuncts for fine winemaking.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

I know this thread is a bit old, but it may help out anyone planning on buying the fully draining, or the bulkhead version. Brewers Hardware has tri clover compatible fitting for 25 bucks that will thread into the fully draining version. 1/1.5 tri clover to 2 inch male npt. I personally haven't seen the bottom of the plastic fermenters, but I think it would be much cheaper and draw a bit less scrutiny from inspectors by going with the fully draining versions and then threading in one of these adapters. Throw on a valve and you are in business. If I am misunderstanding some of this info, I would appreciate it.

Ryan
                            Foxhole Brewhouse

Comment

Originally posted by BridgBre View Post
                              I know this thread is a bit old, but it may help out anyone planning on buying the fully draining, or the bulkhead version. Brewers Hardware has tri clover compatible fitting for 25 bucks that will thread into the fully draining version. 1/1.5 tri clover to 2 inch male npt. I personally haven't seen the bottom of the plastic fermenters, but I think it would be much cheaper and draw a bit less scrutiny from inspectors by going with the fully draining versions and then threading in one of these adapters. Throw on a valve and you are in business. If I am misunderstanding some of this info, I would appreciate it.

Ryan
                              Foxhole Brewhouse
                              I am wondering if I am missing something as well, I am putting together my parts list and was easily able to find all the fittings to go from the 2" NPT to 1.5" tri to use on a fully draining plastic fermenter.

Comment

Working...
                              X