7bbl startup layout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7bbl startup layout

Hey all, was hoping you wouldnt mind taking a look at our basic idea for a floor plan on the following space. Its a single level (except for a lower level loading dock) space. Its all exposed brick walls and is a pretty open space save for a few columns. I tried to figure process flow from the loading dock through to the cold room. Any issues you can see, or input, would be great.

-We have not added a "grain crushing" room, as we are hoping to avoid one by having jimboney build us a mill that will crush right into the mash tun - any issues anyone sees with this idea?

-One of the questions I had most pressing is where to put a hot and cold water hose bibs, and how many should we have.

-Any issues with our brewhouse kettle arrangements? Also, the cold room off the to the right side is just an idea for what a smaller room would hold. The drawing is to scale but gliffy doesnt show the grids in this exported shot. Also, our brewhouse is the all electric brewmation setup with stouts 7bbl tanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	foushee20x12.png
Views:	1
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	193185

Here are some other shots of the interior that should let you get an idea for the space. First shot shows from front door to back, same orientation as floor plan. The last shot where the dude is standing in the back, is where the steps lead down to the loading dock. Thanks for any input.
    Attached Files

One thing I saw right off...have your cooler door open outward. That is a waste of valuable cooler space that you may need down the road.

Comment

^^ excellent point, and really don't know why I drew it that way. Point taken.

Comment

Your door swings are all over the place, but I assume that is just a graphical error. Here are a few specifics that I see:

30" is not enough room to squeeze someone in at the bar between the office and the bar. You can never have too much space in the office, and those 3 or 4 bar stools won't make or break you.

In an ideal world, you would want your Kettle, Mash Tun and HLT clustered together closer to make the distances you are moving hot water and wort around as short as possible. Then cluster the FVs around so that the distance between the Kettle and FV's are roughly the same length. You will save on the cost of a really long hose to get all the way to the back FV, and minimize losses.

Where is the "front" door? Can you make that view the "wow" view to the bar?

What is the dead space at the south east corner?

How does the public access the exterior deck? Through the brewing area? Same with staff?

Is the only way to get from behind the bar to the front of house through the brew area?

What goes on the pallets in the walk-in? can you safely work around them?

Is it all communal table seating, or will you have some smaller tables?

TV's? Stage for bands? etc? Viewing angles.

I love the look of all the exposed brick in there! Are there any windows?

Looks like a good start.
        Cheers!

Jeff
        Carbondale Beer Works

Comment

I agree with Jeff, I would lose the 2 1/2 feet on the edge of the bar where you have a few stools. 30" is not really enough space between the wall and the bar. Move the cold room wall over and give yourself that couple extra feet of working/storage space in the brewery side. Just my opinion

Comment

Thanks so much for the detailed input, this is exactly what we need.

Originally posted by BonedaleBeer View Post
            Your door swings are all over the place, but I assume that is just a graphical error. Here are a few specifics that I see:

30" is not enough room to squeeze someone in at the bar between the office and the bar. You can never have too much space in the office, and those 3 or 4 bar stools won't make or break you.

**fair enough, and hadnt thought of it that way.

In an ideal world, you would want your Kettle, Mash Tun and HLT clustered together closer to make the distances you are moving hot water and wort around as short as possible. Then cluster the FVs around so that the distance between the Kettle and FV's are roughly the same length. You will save on the cost of a really long hose to get all the way to the back FV, and minimize losses.

** this one makes so much sense, as it looks like it would also lessen the floor drain run as well. I'm playing with the configuration to see what works, but any further input with specifics of tank layout would be greatly appreciated.

Where is the "front" door? Can you make that view the "wow" view to the bar?

** the front door is the door at the bottom left of the drawing, so as you walk in you see the long bar at the back in mostly full view.

What is the dead space at the south east corner?

** this is our step down (4ft or so) loading dock area

How does the public access the exterior deck? Through the brewing area? Same with staff?

** this has been a tough one and the drawing doesn't show it, but we are working with our architect to create a closed off walking path between the rear of the brewing area, and the front of the loading dock area, which would require a moveable non permanent railing system. Hard to explain without showing it.

Is the only way to get from behind the bar to the front of house through the brew area?

** I guess the current way it's showing now, yes - bad idea?
            What goes on the pallets in the walk-in? can you safely work around them?

** pallets would be for some keg/bottle storage - unsure of how effective this would be

Is it all communal table seating, or will you have some smaller tables?

** the plan is to go with all communal seating actually to maximize space and create a beer garden like atmosphere, with the long rails for more free form standing/seating. We are open to any ideas

TV's? Stage for bands? etc? Viewing angles.

** we plan to have tv's but unsure where yet, likely no room for a stage but we plan to host smaller acoustic acts given our space limitations.

I love the look of all the exposed brick in there! Are there any windows?

** thanks! There are two block glass windows on what would be the long left wall.

Looks like a good start.

Thanks again.

Comment

cleaning

I suggest you insulate your floor panel of the cold room to avoid condensation and retain better cooling.

Also you want some drainage in the cold room as well. You might want to put in a "P" trap so that water fills the drain and prevents cold air from escaping up thru the drain.

How do you plan to CIP the Bright tanks in the cold room? How do you plan to transfer? You might want to consider installing two SS pipes into the side wall of the cold room for times you use a pump to transfer or clean...more elegant that the cold room door being left open for an hour or two.

Also your 35ft trench drain is probably way over kill...you can probably save some money there as well. If the floors in that area are sloped, a 5ft-10ft length drain should be fine...however, you really should put one in the cold room as well.

I'd probably prefer to have the MT next to my fermenters and not my kettle...i don't know the quality of your tanks, but assuming the worst, I'd rather not have boiling wort at 212F for 2 hours sitting next to a Unitank trying to hold 33F.

It really just depends on what you're thinking and how you want to do things.
              Hope that helps.
              Cheers!
              Alex Postelnek, Lead Brewer
              Funky Buddha Brewery
              Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33334
              (561) 945 - 4584
              alex@funkybuddhabrewery.com

Comment

Feedback on tap room

I assume a direct fire system? If not where is your boiler room? You will need a mechanical room for compressed air, bulk CO2, and Glycol? Where is the lab? You will need a clean room for a simple lab setup. Where is the mill room? There a lot of basics you need to still stuff in there that are missing.

Originally posted by CraftBeerIndia View Post
                I suggest you insulate your floor panel of the cold room to avoid condensation and retain better cooling.

Also you want some drainage in the cold room as well. You might want to put in a "P" trap so that water fills the drain and prevents cold air from escaping up thru the drain.

How do you plan to CIP the Bright tanks in the cold room? How do you plan to transfer? You might want to consider installing two SS pipes into the side wall of the cold room for times you use a pump to transfer or clean...more elegant that the cold room door being left open for an hour or two.

Also your 35ft trench drain is probably way over kill...you can probably save some money there as well. If the floors in that area are sloped, a 5ft-10ft length drain should be fine...however, you really should put one in the cold room as well.

I'd probably prefer to have the MT next to my fermenters and not my kettle...i don't know the quality of your tanks, but assuming the worst, I'd rather not have boiling wort at 212F for 2 hours sitting next to a Unitank trying to hold 33F.

It really just depends on what you're thinking and how you want to do things.
                Hope that helps.
                Cheers!
                Trent
                Shades of Pale
                Park City UT

Comment

A few notes

I think a separate grain crushing room is important since it looks like your brewery is open to the tasting room.

If you're going to stick to the open air thing, make sure you think of any ops that will be noisy or disruptive to customers (pumps, air compressor, power washer, profane brewer, etc.)

Definitely need a way into the bar from the tasting room floor. Just notch out a walkway at the end nearest to the brewing area.

You can cut down on wasted brewery space (and trench drain length, if you'd like) if you put two of the fermentors against the back wall. Measure to be sure, but it looks like you can still get the cold room door all the way open. If you end up moving the cold room out towards the front, you can stack them two by two. Or you could just keep it open for potential growth.
                  Kyle Kohlmorgen
                  Process/Automation Consultant
                  St. Louis, MO

Comment

Working...
                  X