Steam boiler: how hot can it get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam boiler: how hot can it get?

I'm considering buying a 4bbl electric steam boiler for my very small brewery. (everything fits within 10x18)

So I'm wondering: am I going to suffocate? How is it in comparison with immersion electric elements, does it release alot more heat?

thank you,

Zb

It can get pretty darn hot!

Think of a sweltering day in August, Kettle boiling, and your boiler at full load. Sounds like you'll be needing lots of water.

You may be CIPing with hot liquids also.

But as I was told once, "If you don't like the heat get out of the kitchen!"

Its always best to locate the boiler in a separate space away from the brewery.

Comment

Don't forget, if anything on your boiler springs a leak it's tough to run fast enough. We've got a kill switch in two locations and the boiler is remotely situated. This seems to make more sense.

Comment

Thanks guys

my question was: is it worst or similar to other systems (immersed elements, direct fire, ..) in terms of "lost heat" ?

b.

Comment

Heat is Heat!

You will have two sources of heat with a boiler and a kettle, and with an immersion or direct fire, you have one source of heat radiating into your space. So the boiler will probably heat your space more.

The amount of radiant heating depends on what kind of insulation you have on your brewhouse. Usually a boiler has minimal insulation although this varies.

If your direct fire design has no insulation around the fire chamber it could emit a great deal of heat also.

An Immersion heater would heat the insides of the tank it is in, so the radiant heat would possibly be less depending on the insulation on that vessel.

Comment

If you're concerned about heat loss from the boiler itself, insulate the keck out of your boiler room when you build it (or retrofit your existing). They're meant to operate at a high temp, so don't worry about it getting too hot.

There may also be a code requirement for venting this room in your area (I have a vague memory of it, but can't say for sure). Either way, definitely isolate it from the rest of your operation.
            Scott

Comment

Code Requirements.....

Scott,

ZB may not require a separate boiler room if it is a low pressure boiler and under 425,000 BTU (approx). The boiler is electrical, so make-up air isn't a factor and wouldn't be a requirement. I've seen boilers for 7 Bbl systems not enclosed in a separate room and passed by UBC.

However, if it were gas, the make-up air requirement, or "venting" as you called it, is 1 sq-in per 1,000 BTUs of gas utility. By the way, this requirement also applies to gas water heaters and direct fire kettles using conversion burners (the standard).
              This make-up air provides air for the gas flame but also prevents drafts created by opening and closing doors in the Brewery from blowing out the flame and/or pilot.

Comment

DK,
                Ah yes, "ELECTRIC" steam boiler being the key word there... Thanks for chiming in. Never worked with one before.

Do gas boilers really use pilot lights these days?

Scott

Comment

Ya know, Scott...........I think they're all electric spark ignition now! Good catch. Our water heater at our first Brewery has a pilot, but the burner is electric.
                  We're currently building a boiler room for a 15 hp boiler (645,000 BTU) and had the inspectors in to see it prior to close. We had a discusion over make-up air requirements. They mentioned the pilot flame issue, and I had just had a long day so it flew by me, but it seemed to make sense at the time. Also, barametric and draft venting prevents drafts from extinguishing the actual combustion flame, but that requirement is still valid if they're in the same room.

Good eye.

Comment

Working...
                  X