Talisman Hops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talisman Hops

I came across a porter recipe that uses Clusters for bittering, and Cascade and Talisman for aroma. I have not been able to find any info on Talisman hops.
    Are they available?
    What would be a good subsitution?
    Any historical info on Talisman? Because I have not found anything on them, it makes me curious.
    Thank You
    Ed

Some history

Thanks to my friend Google...

"The first successful U.S. variety came from Dr. Robert Romanko, who in 1968 released an improved Cluster he called Talisman." (from http://calferm.org/edu/hops/Pedigree.htm - quite interesting reading...)
    Other bits I found said that other, newer varieties had better properties and Talisman was phased-out or replaced.

Boy

Comment

Thanks

Thanks, Boy. That was a great link.
      Anyone have any suggestions on Subs?
      Ed

Comment

Talisman

Hello Ed,

There were many types of Cluster hops grown in the 70's. Most were mutants of Clusters found in fields. Main reason was to find hops that would mature at different times. We eventually had E-1's and L-8's for instance that meant for and e or early picked Cluster and l or late picked Cluster. Also had one called Bates named for a hop grower who found this one in a field near Tampico. Brewers pretty much viewed them all as just Clusters and this usually inlcuded the Talisman. Never was much of them grown, but they were a good hop never the less. Best substitute is Cluster and they are still being grown. Not may acres any more but still guess around 400,000 lbs still grown. In the late 70's Cluster made up for most of the hops grown in Washington and Oregon. Trust this helps a little more.

Cheers,
        Ralph Olson
        YCH HOPS
        A Yakima Chief - Hopunion Brand
        hops@ychhops.com
        www.ychhops.com

Comment

Working...
        X