Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewhouse Vessel Configuration -12 hL

Hi,

We are planning a new 12 Hl brewpub and I am interested in views of experienced operators on vessel configuration.

In particular the pros and cons of combined mash/lauter tun (with steam jackets for heating) and kettle/whirlpool, vs mash mixer/kettle/whirlpool and dedicated lauter tun.

Throughput is not critical because we are sizing for single brew days.

I am interested in the usefulness of steam jacketing the mash/lauter to allow for upwards infusion mashing, any experience?

I suspect lautering efficiency would be greater in a dedicated lauter tun?

Any input would be very welcome,

Thanks

Neither would be my choice--add a discrete whirlpool. I think you will be better off with a mash mixer/kettle, lauter, whirlpool arrangement. Heated vessels require agitation to stir up the contents and provide uniform heat throughout the mix. I haven't seen this done well in a lauter vessel. Besides, this three vessel system will require only one heated/agitated tun, saving lots of money in both the jacketing and the steam plumbing. The only downside to this arrangement is throughput. Can't mix mash if you're boiling wort. Dedicated whirlpool will be inexpensive. Go for shallow and broad with a side drawoff used until the level gets low enough to switch to the whirlpool drain. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
    X