Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spent Grain Recycling

Hi All,

I am working on a new spent grain recycling service here in the Seattle area and I am looking for some insight from some pro's.

1) Many breweries give their spent grain away to local farmers for free if they come pick it up or throw it away. So, if there was a service that stopped by on a regular basis and took it away/gave clean storage containers, would you pay for it? What if we paid you? What if it was free?

2) Obviously, once spent grain has spoiled, farmers will not take it for feed. The key is to pick it up on a timely basis and dry it to be converted to pellets. This dry brewers feed can be sold to farmers at a profit. If there was a profit sharing program, would you pay for the service up front for a possible return later?

3) Spent grain can be used for compost or bio-fuel. One idea is to trade compost and feed with farmers for other materials (ie. beef, pork, chicken, veggies, etc). These type of items could be given in return for the spent grain in a sudo payback system as well. Would this type of model work?

4) We also are looking at a similar idea for trading compost to hop farms for product.

I am looking for some general feedback on the idea.

Thank you for your time.

Originally posted by mrhicksman View Post
    Hi All,

I am working on a new spent grain recycling service here in the Seattle area and I am looking for some insight from some pro's.

1) Many breweries give their spent grain away to local farmers for free if they come pick it up or throw it away. So, if there was a service that stopped by on a regular basis and took it away/gave clean storage containers, would you pay for it? What if we paid you? What if it was free?
    I would not pay for it since I can find farmers to do it now for free
    2) Obviously, once spent grain has spoiled, farmers will not take it for feed. The key is to pick it up on a timely basis and dry it to be converted to pellets. This dry brewers feed can be sold to farmers at a profit. If there was a profit sharing program, would you pay for the service up front for a possible return later?
    Again, I would not pay for it since I would be giving you the main product for free!
    3) Spent grain can be used for compost or bio-fuel. One idea is to trade compost and feed with farmers for other materials (ie. beef, pork, chicken, veggies, etc). These type of items could be given in return for the spent grain in a sudo payback system as well. Would this type of model work?
    This would and does work. I am using a limited version of this model now. Spent grain for eggs!
    4) We also are looking at a similar idea for trading compost to hop farms for product.

I am looking for some general feedback on the idea.

Thank you for your time.
    Back in the 1990s there was a similar company operating in and arou d Denver. It was called Micrograin, I believe. They provided breweries with equipment to remove the spent grain and stored it in a grain bin/silo in the alley. This company got first dibs on all the spent grain from breweries that took the gain removal equipment.
    Spent grain definately does have a value to it for the individual willing to deal with it in a timely manner.
    I have used it for everything from garden base, compost material, making spent grain bread, making spent grain dog biscuits, making homemade soap with grain in it, trading it for eggs! I've also heard you can grow shiitake mushrooms in it.
    Luck to ya!
    Prost!
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Lots of information on other threads. We've hit this topic pretty well.
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
      X