What type of tanks should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of tanks should I get?

Starting up a small 4bbl brewery in my hometown and I am wondering what my best options are for tanks. The system I am purchasing comes with 2 4bbl fermenters, but I am wondering if I should purchase more tanks. If so, would I be better off purchasing more fermenters or a couple of brite tanks? I have been told I can do a two week cycle in the fermenters, but I think I would like to stretch it out to three weeks for better tasting beer. But with only two tanks that doesn't leave me with many batches per month. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Matt
    Tumbledown Brewing

It really is hard to suggest tank options without knowing more about your business plan and your operation. Are you distributing? Are you a pub? Are you just selling from a tap room. What is your overhead? Do you have to generate a salary for yourself and anyone else? What type of beers are you making? Ales, lagers? What Plato? The answers to these questions will help you decide. Generally you can increase production with more ferms and cut back on the brites as long as as you have adequate cooperage to push beer through the brites quickly.

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by NodaBrew View Post
      It really is hard to suggest tank options without knowing more about your business plan and your operation. Are you distributing? Are you a pub? Are you just selling from a tap room. What is your overhead? Do you have to generate a salary for yourself and anyone else? What type of beers are you making? Ales, lagers? What Plato? The answers to these questions will help you decide. Generally you can increase production with more ferms and cut back on the brites as long as as you have adequate cooperage to push beer through the brites quickly.

Todd
      Todd--thanks for the reply; here are the answers to the questions you posed. Starting out on a 4bbl system with 2 4bbl FV's; I will be distributing in roughly a 50 mile radius as well as selling in the attached tap room/retail area (no pub). Planning on pouring from kegs in a True Cooler in the tap room. Overhead will be between $800 and $1000, no salary for myself (someday). Beers I will be focusing on are an Irish Red, Stout and IPA with a few seasonals thrown in. Nothing too high gravity (7% max). If I had enough cooperage what would you consider as an adequate time in a brite?

Thanks again
      Matt

Comment

We condition our beers in fementers so time in a brite could be as little as 2-3 hours. This is only possible if you have an adequate inventory of kegs to empty the brites. After hearing about your plan I would probably suggest putting your money into more ferms and kegs and work your brite(s) hard.

Comment

Working...
        X