Tank Serial Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Serial Numbers

Can I please see some examples of what you are using for Tank Serial Numbers?

Not sure how sophisticated these need to be. For Example, is FV1 suitable for Fermenter 1?

Do the HLT, Mash Tun, and Boil kettle need them as well.

Brite too?

Thanks.

Mike
    Scratchtown Brewing Co.

We are being asked to do this as part of the TTB process. Is anyone familiar with what I am asking?

I believe it is in reference to this:

ยง 25.35 Tanks.

Each stationary tank, vat, cask or other container used, or intended for use, as a receptacle for wort, beer or concentrate produced from beer shall:

(a) Be durably marked with a serial number and capacity; and

(b) Be equipped with a suitable measuring device. The brewer may provide meters or other suitable portable devices for measuring contents of tanks or containers in lieu of providing each tank or container with a measuring device.

(Sec. 201, Pub. L. 85-859, 72 Stat. 1395, as amended (26 U.S.C. 5552))

Comment

Unless something has changed that I don't know about, F1, F2, B1, B2, etc does the trick. You can get peel and stick letters/numbers at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.

Comment

Numbering Fermenters and Bright Tanks

We were audited by the TTB a few years ago and that was one of the issues that came up. We were required to label each fermenter and bright tank with a distinct number. We went with TK1 thru TK24 for the fermenters and BB1 thru BB8 for the bright tanks. I think you could use any kind of naming or numbering system as long as its obvious what the tank is used for. The other issue is marking how much volume each tank can potentially hold. Meaning, you need to list the full volume of the tank not just how much you typically fill into it. They asked us to mark this volume in gallons not barrels. We use decals from the hardware store for both numbering and volume on the tank.

They also told us to treat our oak barrels like bright tanks and number them as well.

hope this helps,

dave

Comment

Mike, so far as I'm aware, brewhouse tanks do not need to be labeled for the TTB. I imagine some people do it to help aid visitors when they're giving brewery tours.

Dave, that's interesting about the oak barrels... I don't think I've been to a place in my area that has labeled them in the same way as a FV or BBT. Maybe they just haven't been audited yet!
          Kevin Shertz
          Chester River Brewing Company
          Chestertown, MD

Comment

Working...
          X