Bentonite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bentonite

Does anyone have experience fining with bentonite? I have used it in my pilot system and just put some in one of my larger conicals yesterday. I imagine that the amount of time it takes to work depends on the strain of yeast, and the size and geometry of the tank. I would like to know what some of the rest of you have experienced. After I put the slurry in, I "stirred" it by injecting a gentle stream of CO2 through the dump port in the bottom of the cone. I did so for 10 minutes. I am wondering if I need to do this periodically over a period of days or if the initial stir is sufficient. I thank you for you comments, in advance.

Cheers!
    James
    James Romano
    Owner, and everything else . . .
    Fire Cirkl, White City, OR

Originally posted by Horsepoorx2 View Post
    Does anyone have experience fining with bentonite?
    Only in the world of wine.

Bitch to work with and MUST be slurried properly. Watch out for seriously negative effects on protein matrix of your beer. (head retention issues).

Works well in wine which is basically a solution of acids, water, alcohol, and perhaps, some sugar. Beer is more of a colloid with some oils and proteins in the mix too.

In terms of the application, if you've followed slurrying instructions, a single thorough mix should do it. As it settles, the bottoms will be very fluffy. you may lose a lot of product upon racking/decanting.

Pax.

Liam
    Liam McKenna
    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

I agree with everything Liam had to say, there, and I might add a couple of points...

adding about 2% ball clay will help the bentonite compact in the fermenter...help, but it's still light and fluffy.
      Bentonite will strip a considerable amount of color and flavor out of your beer. More than gelatin. You may have to double your hop bills to get the amount of hop flavor you require.

Good luck
      Nat

Comment

Nooooo!

Don't even think about it...unless you are making 'high malt base'. It pulls protein indiscriminately
        Larry Horwitz

Comment

I know this is an old thread but the info in this link should be helpful.

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/NR/...947/ProteinI....

If you're set on using Bento, be sure to conduct a bento trial

if you have a submersible pump, I would use that to mix your beer as you slowly add the bento mixture, or you could setup a pump from bottom valve to racking valve (or to the top of the tank) and add your bento using a venturi while the beer circulates.

It doesn't say so in the article but I would add that you should rack off excess water that forms on the bento mixture after swelling. So, mix up your dry bento clay with the correct amount of water, allow to swell for the correct amount of time (overnight is good), rack off water from the top of the bento, then add. Its not a big deal but depending on how much you add this could save you a few litres of dilution.

Comment

Working...
          X