PDA

View Full Version : Fermenter plumbing for 2 zone tanks?

noodle
07-10-2013, 09:51 AM
Hi,

I'm working on setting up our loop and wonder what the best way is to plumb the 2 zone tanks. I'm running the supply header and "T"ing off with 2 solenoid valves (one for each zone). What about the return? Should I come off each zone individually up to the return header or can I connect from the lower zone return to the upper zone return and continue up to the return header?

thanks,

e

BrewinLou
07-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Better late than never. I would first add two isolation valves after the Ts for supply and return. Then on the supply add one solenoid valve with a bypass loop around it. After that you T off to all the inlets on the tank. I personally add ball valves on to the low side of the jackets in case you need to isolate them to test for leaks.

noodle
07-31-2013, 11:26 AM
Thanks Dan, Doing it this way, you tie the two zones together. what happens if your vlave fails? If they are seperate, at least part of the tank should maintain temp. Please let me know your thoughts.

thanks,

eric

BrewinLou
07-31-2013, 12:19 PM
That is why I add a bypass loop around the actuated valve with a ball valve in the loop, so you can bypass the actuated valve in the event of a failure. I would also add isolation valves right below the header Ts, so the whole tank can be isolated from the header.

lhall
08-01-2013, 09:55 AM
I would just add that if you plan on ever doing smaller batches into the fermenter - i.e. 160 bbls into a 200 bbl tank for instance - you will want to have isolation valves for the top side jacket.

dick murton
08-01-2013, 01:57 PM
And don't forget to position the temperature probe / probes for different volumes & different cooling ranges