Advice for converting kegs to fermetners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for converting kegs to fermetners

I'd like to convert some of my sanke 1/2 barrel kegs to fermenters for my R+D system. Is it just a matter of welding some ferrules on? Any help would be appreciated!

Brewer's Hardware

Check out Brewer's Hardware. I have used these on the homebrew side with success.

Brewers Hardware offers a variety unique and hard to find items to the home and craft brewing markets. Specializing in Tri Clover compatible sanitary fittings and other stainless steel parts and accessories, our selection is constantly expanding.
    Mark Thomas
    Vault Brewing

Comment

This is about the slickest home-built keg ferm. I've seen:

Built by Steve Carper.

Weld a Tri-clamp fitting to the Sanke (after removing spear and valve). Weld a cooling jacket between the bumps on the keg. Turn the keg upside-down and fab a simple stand. The lower fitting is very similar to one on a conical ferm--the large pipe goes all the way to the new top of the keg for pressure regulation and push when racking. The smaller fitting is for racking and pitching. It goes up about 3" into the keg to trap some yeast and trub.

I think Steve used a converted water cooler for the chiller. Some insulation would make this little ferm even better.
      Last edited by TGTimm; 10-17-2013, 01:54 PM.
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
      X