Stackable or unstackable kegs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stackable or unstackable kegs?

I got an offer to buy unstackable kegs. What is good and what is bad?

Edit: Oops, never mind!!!
    Last edited by tarmadilo; 05-23-2005, 08:09 PM.

Comment

There are some straight-sided Sankey kegs that have a bottom chime that is made to fit into the top of another. They are alright, but after they have been dropped on the bottom chime a few times they won't fit together. I think the regular sankeys with the straight chimes would be your best bet.

Come to think of it, why hasn't anyone built a keg with a tapered chime on the TOP instead of on the bottom? Then you would have less of a problem with the chime being bent, and you could have stackable kegs! I call dibs on the patent~

Cheers,

Linus Hall
      Yazoo Brewing
      Linus Hall
      Yazoo Brewing
      Nashville, TN
      www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Linus, it's been years since I was out delivering kegs to accounts, but it seems to me that Coors kegs are a little bit like that...

No, wait, I think they're that way top AND bottom. All I remember is, they didn't look like anyone else's kegs!

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Coors Kegs

The only thing that's different about Coors kegs is the large band around the middle that is there for their handling equipment. They aren't stackable. I'll tell you there is a reason that AB, Miller, Coors, and all the big guys don't have stackable kegs, because they're really not that much of a convenience. They could all afford them but there is no point. Most kegs are stacked on pallets or when they are stacked, they aren't stacked one on top of the other but are stacked staggered which works great. So if the stackable kegs are a good deal then there is nothing wrong with them but I wouldn't really say they are advantageous.

Comment

I just had an "ah-HA" moment. Stackable is different from what I thought it was! My comment up above assumed that stackable meant straight-sided.

So, disregard my comments!

Cheers, Tim

Comment

stackable kegs

As the owner of a number of used kegs let me warn you there is nothing worse than the stackable kegs. We own about 65 of them and they are nothing other than a problem. The chimes get bent really easy and after they are bent they either will not stack with other stackables or if they do stack they do not come apart. I have had to push a stack of kegs over on top of a 2 x 4 to separate them. Please heed my warnings!!!! if you do not,let me know if you are interested in a couple more stackables b/c we will be happy to get rid of ours

brad farbstein
              real ale brewing co

Comment

I've found that the rubber/plastic chimed stackables stack quite well since (of course) the don't permanently deform. Bonus is that after being beaten around, they eventually come appart from the main metal keg body - so if you're after a round bottomed keg that won't stand up, you're all set!

My vote for the most durable keg on the market is probably the rubber chimed kegs where they have covered the entire keg body with a layer of rubber/plastic... and stackable.

And hey Brad, I'll gladly take those troublesome kegs off of your hands. Drop me a line if you're serious.

Cheers,
                Scott
                scott@eastendbrewing.com

Comment

Working...
                X