Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditioning new tanks/Brewhouse???

Hi,

We've received our brewhouse and tanks and need to know how to condition them. These have been welded and sent to us without any treatment. Is there something we should do?

thanks,

e

Birko Method

Lots of threads on this. We used the Birko method- no air drying for passivation. We use it for all brand new kegs as well. It works!
    FYI- follow the temp recommendations, it is crucial.

From Dana Johnson's post on BA Forum:

We recommend the following procedure to passivate new tanks and kegs and leave them flavor neutral:

1. Rinse kegs with potable water
    2. Clean with 2 oz. of Ultra Niter (nitric/phosphoric acid blend) per gallon of 140 d. F. maximum water
    3. Drain, but do not rinse.
    4. Clean with 2 oz. of Cell-R-Mastr (alkaline, oxygenated noncaustic cleaner) per gallon of 140 d. F. maximum water
    5. Drain and rinse well
    6. Sanitize as normal

Comment

conditioning?

Do you do that for your mash tun/boil kettle/hlt and fermenters as well?

thanks

Comment

I also recommend BIRKO's method and, yes, I would do that with all stainless vessels.

EDIT: Didn't notice this at first, but if this is a new vessel, they (Birko) said to wash with BruREze or CellRMastr FIRST then rinse and proceed as above... the first wash is to remove grunge from manufacturing process, etc. Then the acid passivates... then you have the second wash and santi to be ready for use. Obviously kettle/MLT don't require santi step
        Last edited by wailingguitar; 07-25-2013, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Yup

Yes, wailingguitar is right, there are usually metal bits and oil in all new stainless tanks. So they do need to be cleaned with BruREze or CellRMaster first. CellRMaster works at lower temps and is recommended for FV's and Brights.

I copied and pasted from the BA post which was for kegs...

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
            X