Dry Yeast Pitching Rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Yeast Pitching Rate

I've done a little research and can't seem to find anybody who follows a precise pitching rate when using dry yeast. I've read a few examples of brewers just dumping 500 grams in each batch anywhere from 10-15 bbls. The vagueness of this method bothers me. On top of this, it sounds as though they are drastically underpitching considering this product spec sheet for safale s-05:

It claims each gram has 6 billion viable cells. Knowing this It seems that I should be using around 19.5 grams per barrel, per degree plato ((~117,350 ml per barrel * 1 million) / 6 billion cells per gram).

Am I missing something here?
    Last edited by sir_brewski; 08-06-2013, 07:55 PM. Reason: *6 billion, not 9 billion
    Addison Poth
    Back Alley Draft House

I use 1 500g package per 10bbl.. Not by any calculations, just by what I used to use at a previous brewery and it works well at that pitching rate.

Rob

Comment

I also use 500g pack per 10bbl (rounding up)... I got that figure from John Mallett years ago and later my fermentis hawker reiterated that figure, so that is what I have always gone with. S-04 is my yeast of choice and with that ratio I see good starts every time

Comment

Your calculation is right, but the numbers provided by dry yeast manufacturers are often guaranteed minimums and actual cell counts are usually far higher. I've had a lot of pilot batch success by assuming that dry yeast contains 14 billion viable cells per gram (20 billion cells per gram at 70% viability) and targeting 0.75 million cells/mL/P for ales, but I haven't tried dry yeast in full-scale batches. Assuming 20 billion viable cells per gram - a number I've seen in several places - gave me inconsistent results.

Joe
        Narrows Brewing
        Tacoma, WA

Comment

This might be of interest to you: http://koehlerbeer.com/2008/06/07/re...-clayton-cone/

That "20b" number is assuming optimal rehydration. If you're just dumping the dry yeast in the wort, at pitching temp, you're probably cutting that number down quite a bit.
          Last edited by nateo; 08-07-2013, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Good point. I rehydrated the yeast, though. The article also mentions that room-temperature storage causes viability to drop.
            Last edited by jwalts; 08-07-2013, 06:08 AM.

Comment

I use 2.2 billion per gallon per degree plato. Been doing that for a couple of hundred batches and it works well. I do not rehydrate just dump on cooled wort.
              Tim Eichinger
              Visit our website blackhuskybrewing.com

Comment

Originally posted by nateo View Post
                This might be of interest to you: http://koehlerbeer.com/2008/06/07/re...-clayton-cone/

That "20b" number is assuming optimal rehydration. If you're just dumping the dry yeast in the wort, at pitching temp, you're probably cutting that number down quite a bit.
                Excellent article, Thank you.
                Addison Poth
                Back Alley Draft House

Comment

You forgot the part where you should multiply by the degrees plato. 117,350 ml/bbl *1 million * gravity in plato / 6 million cells/g = pitch rate in g/bbl.

Comment

Harvest

Are you harvesting that yeast or just chucking a new one in there each time?
                    Cheers,
                    Rick Blevens
                    Templar Brewing
                    4449 Thatcher Rd
                    Alton, IL 62002

follow me:
                    Facebook Templar Brewing
                    Twitter @templarbrewing

Comment

Working...
                    X