Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 American Brewers Guild Graduate looking for Brewer/Assistant Position

Hi-

I am a 2012 graduate of the American Brewers Guild. I interned with Harpoon for 5 weeks last August where they placed me in a different area of the brewery every week. I learned a lot from that experience, not only about how important professional and sanitary brewing is but also how important teamwork is when trying to consistently put out a great product.

After the internship ended, I accepted a position as an Assistant Brewer with Back East Brewing Co. in Bloomfield, CT. I was able to learn from a very talented and knowledgeable brewer who also had 10+ years of experience in the industry. Adding to this experience was the fact that Back East had also only been open for a few months. I was literally helping a company grow from the ground up. As it was a two person team in the brewhouse and the brewer had little time to peer over my shoulder on a regular basis, I had little choice but to be self-motivated to get things done. The responsibilities included but were not limited to: beer conditioning and carbonation level testing, transferring from fermenter to brite tanks, packaging, milling, some brewing duties and direct sales in our tasting room.

In February of this year, I received a phone call from the owner of a nearby brewpub asking if I would like to take on the position of Head Brewer at their facility. The owner and I mutually agreed that it would be best for him to hire another person for this position and I left on June 2nd.

With that said, I love beer. I love this industry and the people that fill it. I love that in this industry that I get to learn something new every single day while also applying the knowledge gleaned from the American Brewers Guild. I love that the American public is more and more interested in beer every day and that the big boys are going the way of the dinosaurs because of what we've been able to do in the past 30 years.

References:

Mike Smith
    Head Brewer
    Back East Brewing Co
    mike@backeastbrewing.com

Tony Karlowicz
    Founder/Owner
    Back East Brewing Co
    tony@backeastbrewing.com

Benson Hyde
    Owner
    Provisions Wine, Cheese and Beer
    911@provisionswine.com

Christian Amport
    Owner
    Overshores Brewing Company
    christian@overshores.com

I live in Northampton, MA. I am willing to commute up to 50 miles each way for a position although a relocation is not entirely out of the question.

Thanks so much and cheers!

Joe Ploof
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ploof; 08-08-2013, 10:13 AM. Reason: Typo

Joe,

Heavy Seas is currently looking for a shift brewer. I noticed that relocation was not out of the question in your post, and we are just down in Baltimore. If you are interested in discussing this further, please email me at joe@ccbeer.com.

Comment

Working...
    X