Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any DIY Level Sight Gauge Designs out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any DIY Level Sight Gauge Designs out there?

Howdy folks -

Spent quite a bit of time looking for some level gauge solutions for our 7 BBL system and just can't afford the factory versions right now. Also spent some time searching on here, Google-fu'ing around and looking on McMaster but I'm not comfortable yet with the gauge material. For instance, the temp range, chemical resistance, etc of clear plastic and on the borosilicate glass side, how to terminate fittings to the darned stuff.

I'm guessing this wheel has already been invented as well so figured I'd give a yell.

Anybody got a back-pocket DIY design? My tanks are about 48" deep and I may need to get creative with how they're plumbed and supported.

Thanks in advance guys.

Justin Smith
    Ten Sleep Brewing Co.
    Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
    Justin Smith

President & Business Development
    Ten Sleep Brewing Co., Inc.
    2549B Highway 16
    PO Box 406
    Ten Sleep, WY 82442
    tensleepbrewing@gmail.com
    www.tensleepbrewingco.com
    www.facebook.com/TSBCo

A cheap and easy way to do it is to have a barbed fitting from the bottom outlet pipe to the CIP arm above the liquid level, with valves to isolate it. Use beer line for the tube. Close off the valves when you aren't checking the level so that the tube doesn't blow off in the middle of the night and lose all your beer. Open the valves when you are cleaning the tank to clean the tubing. Works fine and is cheap.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you sir, I like it. Especially since we have to fabricate our CIP plumbing, I can add some fittings in there .

Anybody else taken other paths?
      Justin Smith

2549B Highway 16
      PO Box 406
      Ten Sleep, WY 82442
      www.facebook.com/TSBCo

Comment

Originally posted by lhall View Post
        A cheap and easy way to do it is to have a barbed fitting from the bottom outlet pipe to the CIP arm above the liquid level, with valves to isolate it. Use beer line for the tube. Close off the valves when you aren't checking the level so that the tube doesn't blow off in the middle of the night and lose all your beer. Open the valves when you are cleaning the tank to clean the tubing. Works fine and is cheap.
        Our premiere stainless brite tanks have this design. Works well. I prefer to keep the sight level valve closed when cleaning as it keeps the pressure to the sprayball higher (just open it for a few seconds once in a while to get cleaning solution in there).

Comment

+1 for Linus' advice!

This was standard on all the horizontal tanks where I've worked (verticals, being much bigger at 1200brls and above had a load cell on one of the legs) and worked fine.

Worth adding a couple of brackets up the length of the sightline to stop it flexing or getting caught and pulled off. Ours all had a valve at the lower end so they could be isolated.

Comment

Thanks a bunch guys, I'll be sourcing some SS tube on Monday and hopefully fabricating later in the week. We're getting close, what a ride.

Justin Smith
            Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

We are a family run farm brewery in the tiny town of Ten Sleep, Wyoming, and we could sure use your help. | Check out 'Ten Sleep Brewing Co.' on Indiegogo.
            Justin Smith

2549B Highway 16
            PO Box 406
            Ten Sleep, WY 82442
            www.facebook.com/TSBCo

Comment

We use the system described above for our HLT, which runs at 195 F. The hose lasts for years, and usually the cause of replacement is fogging. After 15+ years, we've yet to have one catastrophic failure (knock on wood).

BTW, if using for HLT, it can be very difficult to see the liquid level. A medium size Corky (fishing supply store) works great. You might have to replace them occasionally, but a buck buys a handful.
              Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
              Terminal Gravity Brewing,
              Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Just another little trick - squeezing the tubing in and out moves the water level enough to be able to see it pretty well.
                Linus Hall
                Yazoo Brewing
                Nashville, TN
                www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Linus -

Could you expand on exactly what "beer line" is for this novice? I picked up some higher temp silicone tubing from Brewer's Hardware but I'm not convinced I'll be able to see the level in it.

Terminal Gravity Tim -

Thanks for the tips! I believe I've had your stuff at The Depot in Redmond, OR when I lived in Bend. Very tasty IPA....

Thanks a bunch guys, I love this place.

Justin
                  Justin Smith

2549B Highway 16
                  PO Box 406
                  Ten Sleep, WY 82442
                  www.facebook.com/TSBCo

Comment

Beer line is what we get from Micromatic, it's PVC I believe.
                    Linus Hall
                    Yazoo Brewing
                    Nashville, TN
                    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Yep, our line is PVC. I believe it's 3/4" ID X 15/16" OD, not the heavy-wall beer line from Micromatic. Any clear PVC line should work just fine.

If you want to get fancy and add automatic level control or a level alarm, we use these capacitive proximity sensors: http://www.factorymation.com/Product...E25-NO-NC.html Mount them adjacent to the line, and you'll have a non-contact level sensor. The operating voltage on this model is 20-250 VAC, but other models are available for use with DC. This model also has a relay output, NC/NO, 1A, so they're easy to incorporate into a DIY system. Others use a transistor output if you need TTL compatibility.
                      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
                      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Awesome, thanks guys!
                        Justin Smith

2549B Highway 16
                        PO Box 406
                        Ten Sleep, WY 82442