Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long will it take X degree wort to cool if...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long will it take X degree wort to cool if...

Hey guys.

Out of curiosity, if there a formula for figuring out how quickly an amount of wort will cool from one point to another?

For instance, if you knocked out 100 Gallons into your fermenter at 72 F and your ambient temperature was 62 F, how long would it take that wort to drop down the additional 10 degrees?
    I figure that surface area/fermenter material have to play a role in this.
    Is there a formula/formulas for figuring this out?
    Dave Witham
    Founder/Brewmaster
    Proclamation Ale Company

You're right - it all depends on fermenter size, shape, material, insulation, etc. If you're running the cooling jackets, even more variables.

Just try it with water and see how it works out.
    Kyle Kohlmorgen
    Process/Automation Consultant
    St. Louis, MO

Comment

In theory, it will take just about forever to get to the setpoint due to the ever decreasing temperature differential. For instance, if it took 12 hours to drop 5 degrees, over teh next twelve hours, it will only drop 2.5 degrees, and only 1.25 degrees over the next 12 hours, etc, etc. In practice of course it may reach it earlier or it may never reach the exact target temperature.

As noted before, there are a number of variables, but it can be calculated. Also as stated, try it with warm water initially and see if this gives you acceptable results.

My best advice is not to rely on atmospheric cooling to get down to atmospheric temperature. My expereince with large unlagged FVs with inadequate cooling coils was that even fermenting wort would not maintain the required temperature during what passes for summer in the UK, and would over-cool in winter - the degree of difference varying with teh ambient temperature and the stage of fermentation.

The only realistic way to get accurate and consistent cooling control is to use correctly designed cooling coils / panels with well insulated vessels - even though it costs more, the results will be worth it.
      dick

Comment

Working...
      X