Biofine Clear woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biofine Clear woes

Having trouble with using Biofine Clear. We have been dosing our 60bbl DIPA batches at about 120mL/bbl through the top port, while simultaneously running 20psi through a stone at the racking arm to create a whirlpool. After the dosing, we cap the tank and continue co2 flow for about 3hrs. At 35 degrees Fahrenheit, for 3 days, the beer is still incredibly cloudy.

Any suggestions?

If possible, we would like to avoid having to filter with our P&F, due to the headache.

I have the same problem with 10 bbl IPA. I think it is hop haze. what I did was drop my brite temp to 30 to help brighten up my beer.

Comment

colder

We find that there is a big difference between 32-33F and 28-29F when using Biofine Clear. If you use enough, and give it enough time, Biofine will take out EVERYTHING.

I would try colder first, and maybe do some small scale trials with varying quantities.

Comment

We use at 40-50ml/bbl but only ever dose inline while transferring to the BBT. After 2-3 days at 32F the beer is very bright. Mixing seems to be imperative for this and I'm not sure the OP's method would mix well enough. That said, we always drop to 32. Not sure how much slower 35 would be.

Comment

It is hop haze. We did a DIPA this spring and the beer never cleared up, even after being kegged and sitting in the cooler at 35* for weeks. It looked great in a Belgian Tulip glass. Unfortunately if you want clear beer my guess is you will need to filter this one.
          dangerously good ales.

Comment

We have good luck using a pump w VFD to create a gentle whirlpool in the Fermenter by pulling from one port and pushing through the racking arm which is set at about a 45 degree angle. Inject during the whirlpool and go for 45 minutes. Slow and gentle. Works well with DIPA so far. Mixing well is very important with Biofine clear which is why most people seem to have better success injecting on the way to the brite. In the summer out here we rarely can get the tanks below 36F and still manage reasonably brite beer. 48hr settling time. 40 and 60 Bbl batch sizes.

Comment

Working...
            X