Blow off hose size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blow off hose size

I was wondering what people use for their blow off / air lock. We have 10 bbl fermenters and reduce the blow off arm down to a 1 inch hose into a sani bucket. Should we be going 1 1/2 inch? Thank you for your thoughts.

Tim

We use 3/4" hose--usually used yeast-transfer hose--for our fermenters up to and including 110 bbl. Our downtubes are 1 1/2" SS on all fermenters, with a Handmann PCV for pressure control.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

I've never used one. Seems rather excessive, and a habit from homebrewing.

I just let the co2 blow off through the CIP pipe. I don't use any overfilled fermenters, so there's mostly just gas blowing through.

But a 1" hose sounds fine.

Comment

Since we use a PCV on our systems, the only purpose of the hose is to try and keep most of the mess in the gutter for easy clean-up. We don't use a water-break or steri solution, as the PCV prevents back-flow of gases and maintains a positive pressure within the tank.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

PCV?

Sorry, swedish brewer

Comment

Our 10bbls have a 2" TC port on the top for the Pressure Relief Valve. We use a 2" T, with one end pointed up, one sideways, one clamped to the tank. On the top we put the PRV. On the side is a 2" elbow pointing down. Then a 2" to 1.5" reducer. Then a 1.5 TC barb to 1" hose. Use vinyl hose and run it down into a bucket of iodaphor.
            Russell Everett
            Co-Founder / Head Brewer
            Bainbridge Island Brewing
            Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Working...
            X