Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAA used to sanitize kegs?

Hello,

Has anyone been sanitizing their kegs with Peracetic Acid. If so, at what concentration and duration are you using?

We are about to keg our first batch, and would rather not learn from trial and error.

Thanks in Advance!

Scott Roche'
    Scott Roche'

We've been using Peracetic Acid in our keg cleaning cycle for a few years now, and its worked well for us. Give your chemical supplier a call. Your rep should be able to go over dilution rates and cycle times for your system. Dilution rate will vary depending on supplier.

Comment

I also use PAA for sanitizing my kegs. In fact I use PAA to sanitize anything that finished product comes into contact with pumps, process pipe/line. It breaks down to compounds naturally found in beer. That being said it is an oxidizer so you need tro make sure you get the dilution rates correct from your manufacturer and have an accurate way of measuring.
      Kenjiro Tomita
      Brewmaster
      Triple 7 Brewpub Las Vegas

Comment

We only use PAA. You can't beat the much quicker contact time over Iodaphor. Especially when it comes to banging out clean kegs.

Comment

Standard dose 150ml per 100l for us ...
          Head Brewer Rocks Brewing Co.
          Sydney, Aust
          scotty@rocksbrewing.com

Comment

1.5-2 oz per 5 gal of solution. 60 second contact time.

I let the kegs rest for 24 to break down the PAA, but if I need them on the fly, I heat them up with hot water on the exterior to accelerate the project.

As a reminder, try to set up so that you're purging the keg as completely as possible with CO2. PAA will break down into oxygen, and reducing previously existing O2 helps quite a bit wrt staling.

Bill

Comment

Msds

The MSDS from the chemical supplier should have the recommended dose rates. Call up whoever supplies your PAA and get them to email it to you.

Cheers,
              Mike

Comment

Thanks,

Ended up using Oxine instead. Could not dose the PAA at a strong enough concentration with the equipment on hand.

Cheers,

Scott
                Scott Roche'

Comment

Exactly. Depending on how your washer dilutes the sani, you may have troubles getting the right concentration without having a hazardous bucket of acid sitting there in the middle of everything. We went with oxine.
                  Russell Everett
                  Co-Founder / Head Brewer
                  Bainbridge Island Brewing
                  Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

'All PAA's are not created equal.'
                    Good to know.
                    Russell Everett
                    Co-Founder / Head Brewer
                    Bainbridge Island Brewing
                    Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment