Chloramine Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chloramine Removal

We have been brewing with our city water which has chloramines in it and we need to get rid of them. Although I am not sure I taste chlorophenols in our finished beer, I am still convinced that removal will help our beer have a cleaner flavor.

I'm not exactly sure what to do about it and am not familiar with what other breweries are doing to get rid of or neutralize it. I am leaning toward buying an expensive carbon filtration system, with a storage tank that will feed our filtered water into our hot and cold liquor tanks. We have a 15 bbl brewhouse and eventually are going to upgrade to 30 bbl. For this size, we'd like a 10 gal/min. flow rate that can continuously fill the storage tank until it is full. This setup makes it difficult to reclaim hot water from knockout though. The water from knockout must be at a high flow rate, so won't be filtered at knockout, but maybe later. Maybe I need another storage tank for this water and once it is filtered send it directly to the HLT and bypass the storage tank?

Has anybody dealt with this problem on a similar scale?

I have also heard about neutralizing with ascorbic acid or potassium metabisulfite, but adding more stuff to our water makes me cringe a little. Plus I like the carbon filter for removing organic matter from our water since it is from a river.

Please let me know if you have any ideas that may help out.

Do you know how much potassium metabisulfite I should use to neutralize 1 ppm of chloramine in 15 bbl of water? If I have chloramine in my water, does this mean I have chlorine as well? Is it correct that the chloramine breaks down as it flows downstream from the water treatment plant, and once it flows into the brewery, it is a combination of chloramine and chlorine found in my water? Would the potassium metabisulfite neutralize the chlorine as well?

Comment

just buy campden tablets. It is metabisulfite based used to remove chloramine.

Comment

Originally posted by PMallory View Post
        Do you know how much potassium metabisulfite I should use to neutralize 1 ppm of chloramine in 15 bbl of water? If I have chloramine in my water, does this mean I have chlorine as well? Is it correct that the chloramine breaks down as it flows downstream from the water treatment plant, and once it flows into the brewery, it is a combination of chloramine and chlorine found in my water? Would the potassium metabisulfite neutralize the chlorine as well?

Chloramine is a fairly stable combination; that is the reason the water company uses it.

The dose typically quoted is based on mg/L not PPM. (http://morebeer.com/articles/removin...nes_from_water)

"Take twice the chloramine level in the water, add the chlorine level, and divide by 6. This is the number of tablets required to treat 20 gallons. Scale this value according to how many gallons need to be treated. For example, if I were to brew with the local water, which has 3 mg/L chloramine, I would need one tablet per 20 gallons. It is rare that chloramine levels will be above 3 mg/L, but they occasionally are."

Comment

Working...
        X