Septic system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Septic system?

Im in the process of adding on to an existing building to attach a brewery to an already existing restaurant. The building is on a septic system. Im just wondering if anyone has any input on this issue? Im looking at some alternative methods of disposing caustic cleaners and any thing else I wouldnt want to contaminate my septic tank with? Thanks for any input!!

Kyle

Firstly, all solids must be screened from your waste stream-like kettle trub or spent grain crumbs. Spent yeast is the worst. Create procedures to prevent as much yeast as possible from going down the drain. Yeast is insubordinate about decomposing and settling in your septic tank, and it will not easily be pumped out. Then, of course, find a home for the stuff...a whole 'nother issue. Caustic isn't such a problem, best to neutralize with acid cleaner, although a slight alkalai waste stream is OK. Chlorinated cleaners are not so good, best to switch to non-chlorinated (more expensive) cleaners.
    Then there's the whole issue of how much liquid and also how much BOD load you intend to add to your existing system. You may overload your current system and find yourself "in a heap of trouble." Imagine your restaurant and brewery with a failed septic system and you cannot use the drains, and it is umpteen dollars to attempt to rejuvinate it. If your restaurant currently is matched to your septic system size, you cannot add more load to it.

Comment

Have you thought about a wetland treatment system?

They are used in the US and across the world to treat sewage. I have 2 books, one from the epa on examples of these syetms artificial and natural. I have another which explains the use and management.
      Check into it. It requires less area to traet sewage this way than with a traditional sewage treatment plant!
      Disney has one at the Disney world facility!
      Doug A Moller
      Brewmaster
      The Moller Brew House
      (405)226-3111

Comment

Magic Hat in Vermont and New Belgium in CO are doing some pretty amazing things with their waste streams too. May want to check with them directly.
        Scott

Comment

Working...
        X