Lenticular Filter storage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenticular Filter storage.

I am new to Lenticular filtering. I have been following my manufactures advice, but storage is not working for me. I am pitching my filters after every use.

I am using a two 4 module 16" inch filters, by Filtrox. Currently I filter about once a month. After my first filtration I flushed the filters forward, manufacturer suggest this rather than a back flush. I do a cold flush until my discharge water flows clear, then I go to a hot water flush about 113 degrees until discharge water runs clear again.

After my first run I packed the filters with Peraoxycetic acid. After about a week my filters had a terrible stench. I threw all of the filters out. I replaced all my gaskets, except for the big O ring on the bottom.

I got with my sales rep, we discussed the issue. His advice was to pack the filter with acid and keep my ph at 2.

On my second run I did the same flushing routine. I packed the filter with a nitric/phos blend I use for my regular CIP routine.

2 weeks pass I check the ph, still at 2. But the stench returned. Not nearly as bad as the first time. But I do not dare run beer through it again.

So I am pitching out my filters after one filtration run! I can't keep doing this it is costing me way to much.

What am I doing wrong?
    What are others doing?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

the amish brewer

How would you describe the stench?

Comment

It smells like the worst overused port-a-potty you have ever been in at festival. With a touch of neglected barnyard and some old urinal cakes to try and cover the smell up. Obviously something nasty is growing in it.

Comment

After a thorough flush, I resterilize and then purge the filter with Co2 and leave it with ~15psi on it. I've never had an issue with any bad odors or any sort of growth.

Comment

Thanks Myke J.

So if I follow correctly here.

Flush.
          Pack with Sani.
          Then purge the Sani and pressurize to 15psi? The high pressure CO2 environment makes sense to me...

My manufacturer suggest my medium should not exceed 1 bar and my understanding is that the medium should remain wet. Remember I am only using this once a month at the moment.

Every time I filter, a plate and frame seems more attractive. I know the lenticular is better for product and in the end will be more economical. But, at the moment, I would trade easy/cheap filtration over all the headaches/money the lenticular causes me.

Thanks again for your help, I look forward to your thoughts!

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something in your post, but a filter is made to trap particulate matter in the forward direction. If you are only "flushing" in the forward direction, how on earth are you expecting to get the trapped particulate matter out of your filter? The flushing procedure you describe doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me.

R

Comment

It makes little sense to me also.
              The Filtrox filters do not have as much plastic on them as the Pall filters do. Their suggested method of forward flush is that..

I flush with cold water, to get the ph closer to neutral. The hot water flush is supposed to loosen proteins up so they will pass through the filters and out the discharge. I am told my filters will not take a back wash, they will tear.

Comment

What not buy the pall supradisc filters for your lenticular?

Comment

SUPRAdisc II Filter storage and cleaning

Originally posted by brewmaster 2011 View Post
                  What not buy the pall supradisc filters for your lenticular?
                  ** Disclaimer: This information is by no means complete and is simply meant to assist. If you have specific questions, please contact your filter manufacturer. Because of technological developments related to the products, systems, and/or services described herein, the data and procedures are subject to change without notice.

--------------------------------
                  -------------------------------

Hello Amish,
                  Just a couple of points to cover before going forward (sorry for the length of this post):

1) Lenticular is the STYLE of the filter, such as sheets, stick, or DE. Pall is one of the manufacturers who make a Lenticular filter, but even then, there are a number of different lenticular filters Pall makes.

2) SUPRAdisc II is only made by Pall, and is the one I can speak about. I don't sell or deal with competitive filters, so I can't tell you anything except general advice for those style.

3) Even within SUPRAdisc II, there are 2 types of connections - double O ring (where the bottome connection looks like a membrane filter with 2 O rings), and flat gasket, where the filters are held together via compression, a threaded post, and a SS spring

4) Almost everything listed here is SPECIFIC to a Pall SUPRAdisc II

----------------------
                  ----------------------

If you are using a Pall SUPRAdisc II filter (flat gasket style), and have the backflush plates, the proper way to store the filters is to complete the backflush, then sanitize or sterilize the filters and housing. Once this is done, drain the housing and add a solution of water and 1% citric acid and 500 ppm metabisulfite. Once a week, check that the solution is still good. If storing for more than a week, it may be a good idea to resanitize and refill to keep everything fresh.

The issue of an off odor is normally due to an incomplete purge of yeast from the pads. Once they die off, odors result.....

The issue you may have is that I don't think you can backflush your filters. One of the reasons that Pall sells SUPRAdisc II into food and beverage accts instead of the original SUPRAdisc, is that the SUPRAdisc II has a polypro cage that gives it support in the reverse direction. Without that support, damage will occur if the filters see reverse pressure. Another issue may be that since your filters are only supported by the bottom connection, there is a lot of stress if you attempt flow in the reverse direction, especially with a large 16" filter. This can lead to stress fractures and bypass in some scenarios.

I know that your salesman told you to forward rinse, but I am not sure what rinsing in the forward direction will do except push the particles deeper into the matrix of the sheets. It IS a good idea however, to always have a cold rinse before attempting a warm / hot rinse. The issue is that if you dissolve anything with the warm water and they aren't fully removed, they simply recongeal deeper in the sheets.

Unfortunately, Filtrox uses a different style module than Pall. I know that a Pall SUPRAdisc II will fit, but I can't guarantee that it will work perfect (although I do have some customers that do it).

Please feel free to contact me and I can give you more specific advice.

Thanks!

Milton_Leland@Pall.com

Comment

Originally posted by TheAmishBrewer View Post
                    Thanks Myke J.

So if I follow correctly here.

Flush.
                    Pack with Sani.
                    Then purge the Sani and pressurize to 15psi? The high pressure CO2 environment makes sense to me...

My manufacturer suggest my medium should not exceed 1 bar and my understanding is that the medium should remain wet. Remember I am only using this once a month at the moment.

Every time I filter, a plate and frame seems more attractive. I know the lenticular is better for product and in the end will be more economical. But, at the moment, I would trade easy/cheap filtration over all the headaches/money the lenticular causes me.

Thanks again for your help, I look forward to your thoughts!
                    I didn't say sanitize, I said sterilize. I never put sani through my filter, I sterilize with heat. Either hot liquor 180+ or ideally steam.

Comment

Hey there -

I have a Pall SUPRADISC II that Milton has described and am looking to sell it if you're interested in a lenticular 2x16" that works. Thanks!
                      Hunter Smith
                      President/Head Brewer
                      Champion Brewing Company
                      Charlottesville, VA
                      434-295-BREW
                      hunter@championbrewingcompany.com

Comment

Working...
                      X