Start up equipment help # of fermentors and bright tanks for a 7bbl pub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start up equipment help # of fermentors and bright tanks for a 7bbl pub

Hello and thanks for any help given it means a lot.

I have been hired as a head brewer at a brew pub yet to open in Southern Illinois. Permits and loans are still being acquired. I will be meeting in mid October with the board to talk about equipment. Once they secure their loans we can start buying equipment. We are going to be a 7bbl pub with 5 beers on tap and selling growlers to go. We are going to have 3 year round brews and 2 rotating seasonal. We will be brewing ales to start I would like to have advise on how many fermentors and bright tanks we should start with.

Please let me know if more information is needed.

Well, if you are having 5 beers on tap, you obviously need at least 5 bbts... assuming you are serving from the bbts... 6 would be nice since it would allow you to xfer into a clean tank prior to empty, reducing weekly down time on one or more of your beers.

As far as FVs go, 4 would work if you were expecting to sell close to 10-14bbls/week. That would allow you to brew 2x/week with a roughly 14 day turn around (basically you want 2x the number of FVs as the number of brews/week)... I would try for 5 to help avoid occasional bottlenecks and allow for a lager or other beer that benefits from prolonged aging from time to time.

Comment

3-4 fermenters and 5 serving tanks should do it for you guys. What part of southern IL are you going to be opening in?
      Ben Pugh
      Meddlesome Brewing Company
      Memphis, TN

Eclectic Ales
      Memphis, Tn

Comment

Du Quoin 20 miles north of Carbondale.

Comment

Originally posted by jcmccoy View Post
          Du Quoin 20 miles north of Carbondale.
          I know the area well, Im from Murphysboro. Glad to see more breweries popping up in Southern IL.
          Ben Pugh
          Memphis, TN

Eclectic Ales
          Memphis, Tn

Comment

Me too I went to school down there and feel in love with the area. We started a home brew club and meet lots of great people. Few of them started this place

I think with a few more brewerys and with the wine trails already established it will be a drinkers destination soon.

Comment

It is a super nice area to live in for sure. Ryan, Aaron, and Marika are all good friends of mine! I got to see it get built from the ground up. If you need anything or want my number to talk about equipment just shoot me a pm.

Ben
              Ben Pugh
              Memphis, TN

Eclectic Ales
              Memphis, Tn

Comment

Will do thanks

Comment

Murphysboro? You going to the Big Muddy fest in a few weeks? I sent a few beers down there for the competition. Anxious to see how they went over.

I'm from Central IL and am in the planning stages of a nanobrewery tasting room idea. Love to pick your guys' brains some time.

Comment

If you want to do a nano setup you should really go to Scratch in Ava IL and check out their setup. I am not going to the brewfest but have judged in it a few times. Good luck in the competition and if you ever need anything just give me a shout.

Ben
                    Ben Pugh
                    Memphis, TN

Eclectic Ales
                    Memphis, Tn

Comment

Working...
                    X