Roasted malts %?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roasted malts %?

I am new at the pro brewing side of things but have been homebrewing for over 7 years and I have a few questions about roasted malts. I was wondering what the max % or roasted malts that you would use in a large batch would be? I have a 5bbl system and I have scaled all of my recipes up to fit it but I kind of remember that roasted malts dont scale up correctly. My homebrew dry stout recipe has 10% roast barley and it is fantastic with that amount in it. If I scale it up to 5bbl and keep it at 10% roast barley will it be overly bitter or harsh? I was wondering what % everybody else is using in their stouts and other black beers. Thanks for the info!
    Ben Pugh
    Meddlesome Brewing Company
    Memphis, TN

Eclectic Ales
    Memphis, Tn

Roasted barley and Roasted malt at two different beasts. I use 8% Weyermann Carafa Special 1 dehusked and 6% Simpson's Chocolate Malt in my Robust Porter at 10 bbl.

Comment

So what do you think a max % of roast barley and black malt would be?
      Ben Pugh
      Memphis, TN

Eclectic Ales
      Memphis, Tn

Comment

Our stout has 12% roasted barley AND we roast it here in house. I don't think 10% roasted barley would be too much. Black patent, probably.

Comment

I don't know your 5bbl system. I would brew 2 batches one on your home system and one on your 5 bbl system and do a side by side test of each beer to see if they taste the same.

Comment

I have seen a few guys on here saying that you need less roast in higher gravity wort than low gravity so maybe that's the case. I just don't want to brew something that was so overly roasty it isn't drinkable.
            Ben Pugh
            Memphis, TN

Eclectic Ales
            Memphis, Tn

Comment

10% is not too much roast barley. Mine is in that range and there are a lot of world class Stouts that have more.

Comment

Originally posted by brewfun View Post
                10% is not too much roast barley. Mine is in that range and there are a lot of world class Stouts that have more.
                This is good to know. You know how it is though you hear so much stuff you just dont know what to believe.
                Ben Pugh
                Memphis, TN

Eclectic Ales
                Memphis, Tn

Comment

Working...
                X