Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small Fermenter from Chinese Mfg. (Abany)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Fermenter from Chinese Mfg. (Abany)

I came here to find information on ordering equipment from China. As expected there are some mixed reviews but I found more people saying that the quality was acceptable. I've ordered from China before (built a large laser cutter) and had great success. So I took the plunge.

I placed an order with Abany International Trade Co. (found on alibaba) today for 1 75L Jacketed Fermenter. I intended on buying 4 fermenters but thought I would wait to see the quality of the fermenter and the quality of the service. So far the service is good - Gavin has answered my barrage of questions over the past week or so.

I will use this post to document my experience with this vendor. For transparency, this is my first post on probrewer.

Thanks!

I ordered two instead

After much thought, I ordered two instead. The shipping costs were the same for two as it was for one.

After ~30 working days and the ~30 day shipping, I should receive two fermenters that look similar to this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	190215

Comment

I have a 3 HL pilot brewhouse from Gavin and I very satissfied with it.

Welds are impeccable and he uses 316 steel which is better than 304. My brewhouse is not insulated and the steel is fairly thin but it is not a problem for this size brewhouse. The mirror finish is awesome.

Comment

Well, Damn! I specifically requested 304 because I thought it was meant to be better for food contact. Would I have been better requesting 316? Why?

Comment

304 vs 316

It is a misconception that 316 stainless is "better". The only real difference is the addition of molybdenum which adds some additional corrosion resistence. I'm sure someone with more metal expertise than me could explain it better, but essentially there is nothing that you are going to be doing inside your brewery that requires using 316 over 304. The trick is to make sure you are getting real stainless steel.
          Jet Gasket & Seal Co
          Brewerygaskets.com
          (702) 448-6787

Comment

Did you go with jacketed fermenters? How was the shipping cost? I"ve gotten a few bids from overseas and its always the worry of what happens if the stuff is crud when it gets here and you have to deal with shipping it back.

If you don't mind where did you get your HLT/MT Kettles from etc?

Comment

190 USD for two fermenters shipped to Germany. Not bad for two but a bit steep for only one (shipping cost for 1 fermenter was also 190 USD). Which is the reason I went for two. :/ Talk about an upsale! I was planning on buying more anyway.

I purchased my kettles through brewershardware.com.

Comment

I'll be interested to hear how it goes. What size kettles did you get from bh?

Originally posted by bellais View Post
                190 USD for two fermenters shipped to Germany. Not bad for two but a bit steep for only one (shipping cost for 1 fermenter was also 190 USD). Which is the reason I went for two. :/ Talk about an upsale! I was planning on buying more anyway.

I purchased my kettles through brewershardware.com.

Comment

They've arrived!

The Fermenters arrived late last week. The fermenters set sail from China on 21 November and arrived in Frankfurt 50 days later on 12 January. Once Gavin (Abany) sent me the shipping documents, I could track the vessel online and even estimate the arrival date in Hamburg. I paid for my items to be shipped to Frankfurt. So once the crates were unloaded the shipping company shipped the items to the Frankfurt customs office where I claimed them. Hint: the shipping paid to Abany covers the shipping from China to your closest customs office. So do some homework to locate the closest customs office.

For those who are not used to receiving items via ocean freight, be prepared for additional cost not covered by the shipping paid to Abany. In addition to VAT and import fees, the shipping company will charge you document fees and various port taxes. For the two crates in the images below, I paid an additional €270.

Aside from the additional fees, I was happy with the whole transaction. The quality is excellent for the price. I would have paid at least 5x the price for something "Made in Germany." Gavin at Abany answered all of the questions I threw at him and assured me that I would not be disappointed. When I take the plunge to open my own brewery, I would certainly consider ordering from Abany again.

Name:	20140110_081406.jpg
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	190241

Name:	20140110_082326.jpg
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	190242

Name:	20140110_083207.jpg
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	190243

Name:	20140110_083226.jpg
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	190244

Name:	20140110_083333.jpg
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	190245

Comment

More photos

Name:	20140110_085331.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	190246

Name:	20140114_175846.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	190247

Name:	20140114_175855.jpg
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	190248

Name:	20140114_175922.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	190249

Comment

Thanks for your detail information

Comment

thanks

thanks for taking the time to write your review.

Comment

Working...
                        X