Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzzing (Brand New) GW Kent Solenoid Valve

Hey guys -

I've poked around a bit but didn't find any other threads.

Got our glycol system plumbed in a month or so ago and tested all the brass body solenoids I bought from GW Kent. Everything worked fine.

Time passed... finally got two beers in the first two fermenters last week and am about ready to do the third beer. So just for kicks, I tested the solenoid on FV #3 again (controlled with the typical Johnson A419), and it is very unhappy. It buzzes loudly, gets very warm, and I don't believe it's actually actuating the valve. I pulled the outer part (coil, probably?) off the valve body and there's nothing obvious. This morning it seemed to work once, and then started buzzing madly again the next try. It's been in a pretty benign, moderate temp environment with very little splash or moisture.

I have an extra valve but the last thing I want to do is start tearing into my glycol system right now.

So far no word from info@gwkent.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Justin

Ten Sleep Brewing Co.
    Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
    Justin Smith

President & Business Development
    Ten Sleep Brewing Co., Inc.
    2549B Highway 16
    PO Box 406
    Ten Sleep, WY 82442
    tensleepbrewing@gmail.com
    www.tensleepbrewingco.com
    www.facebook.com/TSBCo

Sounds like a bad winding in the coil to me. You can take the extra one you have and just hook up the wires and leave it out of the glycol header and see if it operates correctly. If so you got a bad unit and need to see if you can get it switched out.
    Ben Pugh
    Meddlesome Brewing Company
    Memphis, TN

Eclectic Ales
    Memphis, Tn

Comment

Originally posted by Eclectic Ales View Post
      Sounds like a bad winding in the coil to me. You can take the extra one you have and just hook up the wires and leave it out of the glycol header and see if it operates correctly. If so you got a bad unit and need to see if you can get it switched out.
      Agreed. This will let you know if its your wiring or a bad coil in the solenoid. If it's wiring, check your not shorting out. Also this is symptomatic of a physical block in the valve. A burr or chuck of something (rust) can prevent the physical action leading to heat up from resistance. Not dissing on GW but I'm sure they are just reselling a product made by someone else, so they may not warranty the solenoid themselves.

Comment

Buzzing

Originally posted by Eclectic Ales View Post
        Just a note. Do not connect the coil to power without being mounted to the valve.
        If it is the coil, you can buy a replacement. If the coil is hot, it may be bad. Check the temp against a currently working valve. they do get war if the are on constantly.

Comment

Another cause of a buzzing valve is having a DC valve and AC coil. The little solenoid that lifts the valve or pilot is different for AC and DC. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with GWK valves, but I have experienced this problem with our ASCO valves. If the coil seems to be fine but the buzzing persists, you should be able to buy an AC rebuild kit for your valve.

As triple noted, be careful not to activate the coil unless it's installed on the valve. Firing the coil up off the valve can easily result in just that--firing the coil up!
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working... for now.

Thanks a bunch guys. I isolated the valve yesterday and pulled the coil off, followed by opening up the valve. Interesting that the core seems to operate directly in glycol... I manually actuated the valve a few times and put everything back together, and it seems to be functioning... for now. Only minimal glycol spillage during the operation.

Yeah GW Kent is just re-selling a valve, and after my little Google Fu yesterday, I think they're doubling the price on it.

Justin
            Justin Smith

President & Business Development
            Ten Sleep Brewing Co., Inc.
            2549B Highway 16
            PO Box 406
            Ten Sleep, WY 82442
            tensleepbrewing@gmail.com
            www.tensleepbrewingco.com
            www.facebook.com/TSBCo

Comment

Working...