Is 3 styles enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 3 styles enough?

Hello ya'll i recently fell into a gig where a local winery is wanting to revive its brewery. Im now the brewmaster and have full go with purchasing equipment. Only going to be a 2bbl operation for now as the winery pays for all the space and they have a taproom that already serves beer. Talking it thourgh with the owner weve settled on three styles right now a brown ale, porter, and american wheat. Im wondering if this is to little variety for just starting off or if we should feel it out with these and see where they take us. Thanks.
    Bog Water Brewing Co. est 2012 revived 2013

Three styles is ok if that is all you can really manage. But you are better off with more, and in this part of the country you really need to have an IPA.
    Troy Robinson
    Quirk Brewing
    Walla Walla

Comment

That's what I was thinking. To me 5 seemed like a good amount to roll out with and yes an IPA is a must and will be had.

Comment

You only need one "good" style. Most breweries don't sell equals amounts of every style, there's usually one or two they sell way more of. It's hard to tell which will be the big seller, though, which favors the scattergun approach of "let's make 12 styles and see what sticks."

I'd do an IPA instead of the brown ale, if you have to pick just 3.

Comment

Don't have to pick three. I was more of the mindset since our quantity is so low that throwing things out there and seeing what sells is the way to go.

The other half is more conservative and so three is kinda where the happy medium exists, at least for startup.

Comment

Originally posted by BogWater View Post
            Don't have to pick three. I was more of the mindset since our quantity is so low that throwing things out there and seeing what sells is the way to go.

The other half is more conservative and so three is kinda where the happy medium exists, at least for startup.
            We are a nano and came out with just 2 styles, a porter and a cream ale right away. It was enough of a headache nailing down those recipes and doing all the licensing paperwork etc. right away. We started last June and are now about to release our third style, an IPA. I'd love to have a half dozen different styles right away but it's sometimes just not possible with everything else going on in a startup. You can always release more. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkyard View Post
              We are a nano and came out with just 2 styles, a porter and a cream ale right away. It was enough of a headache nailing down those recipes and doing all the licensing paperwork etc. right away. We started last June and are now about to release our third style, an IPA. I'd love to have a half dozen different styles right away but it's sometimes just not possible with everything else going on in a startup. You can always release more. Hope this helps.
              Awesome good to see it works out. I think we will stick with the three your point of really nailing it down makes sense to me. These aren't going to be released at the same time one and then the next and so on.

Comment

Working...
              X