PDA

View Full Version : 2,300 BTUs chiller for 1bbl fermenter? Cold Crash?

letsbrewit
10-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Hello!

Im thinking in a chiller like this to use with 1bbl jacketed fermenters http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1003

Any advice? do you think it could works?

Best regards!
Arturo.

a10t2
10-22-2013, 02:49 PM
An average-gravity beer that ferments out over 72 hours will produce about 50 W of heat, which is ~170 BTU/hr. So no worries there.

Crashing a barrel from 22C to 0C requires about 11 MJ of energy, or 10,500 BTU. So you could crash in about 5 hours with no losses; it would probably take 8-10 hours in practice.

How many fermenters is this for? I'd say it's overkill for one.

AnthonyB
10-22-2013, 08:23 PM
The other numbers that have been tossed around here on Probrewer are as follows:

Active fermentation is ((BBL * 4200 BTU) / HOURS-OF-FERMENTATION) = BTU/HOUR
Pulldown is ((BBL * 271 * (start temp - finish temp)) / HOURS-OF-COOLING = BTU/HOUR

I believe these were provided from Jim at ProRefrigeration.

jimvgjr
10-23-2013, 07:20 AM
Hi Arturo,

You see a lot of these draft line systems used on nano setups, your limiting factor is the flow rate the pumps can provide to the jackets (they are high pressure / low flow pumps designed to feed draft line systems). Ive seen multiples of these chiller units used on installations that had up to 6 EA 1-3 Bbl Fermenters and Conditioning Tanks.

How many vessels will you be servicing with your system? Our smallest system is the 3/4 HP Chill&Flow Series, http://www.prochiller.com/chillflow.html, that would be oversized for a single vessel setup (and likely too expensive at $3800 price), but would be a good option to service multiple vessels.

Feel free to give me a call with any questions, or you can complete our online Brewery Survey and we can run the loads and a salesman will get back to you with some options. http://www.prochiller.com/brewload.html

Good Luck,

Jim

Jim VanderGiessen Jr
Pro Refrigeration, Inc
326 8th ST SW Auburn, WA
Tel: 253-218-3029| Mobile: 253-732-9402| Fax: 253-735-2631
www.prochiller.com | jimvgjr@prorefrigeration.com

letsbrewit
10-23-2013, 09:26 AM
An average-gravity beer that ferments out over 72 hours will produce about 50 W of heat, which is ~170 BTU/hr. So no worries there.

Crashing a barrel from 22C to 0C requires about 11 MJ of energy, or 10,500 BTU. So you could crash in about 5 hours with no losses; it would probably take 8-10 hours in practice.

How many fermenters is this for? I'd say it's overkill for one.

Hello i dont care to wait 10 hrs i think its fine, i will need it to cold stabilize a fermenter and ate the same time to carbonate a 1bbl bright tank

letsbrewit
10-23-2013, 09:28 AM
The other numbers that have been tossed around here on Probrewer are as follows:

Active fermentation is ((BBL * 4200 BTU) / HOURS-OF-FERMENTATION) = BTU/HOUR
Pulldown is ((BBL * 271 * (start temp - finish temp)) / HOURS-OF-COOLING = BTU/HOUR

I believe these were provided from Jim at ProRefrigeration.

i control my fermentation temps with a coolling tower by doing this the chiller i will need it to cold stabilize it and for carbing the beer at the same time

letsbrewit
10-23-2013, 09:32 AM
Hi Arturo,

You see a lot of these draft line systems used on nano setups, your limiting factor is the flow rate the pumps can provide to the jackets (they are high pressure / low flow pumps designed to feed draft line systems). Ive seen multiples of these chiller units used on installations that had up to 6 EA 1-3 Bbl Fermenters and Conditioning Tanks.

How many vessels will you be servicing with your system? Our smallest system is the 3/4 HP Chill&Flow Series, http://www.prochiller.com/chillflow.html, that would be oversized for a single vessel setup (and likely too expensive at $3800 price), but would be a good option to service multiple vessels.

Feel free to give me a call with any questions, or you can complete our online Brewery Survey and we can run the loads and a salesman will get back to you with some options. http://www.prochiller.com/brewload.html

Good Luck,

Jim

Jim VanderGiessen Jr
Pro Refrigeration, Inc
326 8th ST SW Auburn, WA
Tel: 253-218-3029| Mobile: 253-732-9402| Fax: 253-735-2631
www.prochiller.com | jimvgjr@prorefrigeration.com

Hello Jim how are you! yes your smallest system is 3,800 and i have 3 fermenters and 1 bright tank, and i only need to cold crash 1 fermenter and carbing 1 bright tank at the same time, nowadays i use a cooling tower to keep the temp during fermentation and i have an old used DIY chiller to do the task one by one and i think i need something for a nano scale brewery not even mini brewery

a10t2
10-23-2013, 12:13 PM
You see a lot of these draft line systems used on nano setups, your limiting factor is the flow rate the pumps can provide to the jackets (they are high pressure / low flow pumps designed to feed draft line systems).

Jim,

I was hoping you'd see this... Is there a good rule of thumb for how often a chiller pump should be able to turn over the total volume of the glycol system? I guess you'd need the pump curve to determine exactly what the flow rate would be when throttled back to, say, 15 psi, but is there a number I can use to figure out if a pump is even useful for my application?

Specifically, I'm considering using a 1/3 HP pump, rated 100 gph at 170 psi, for two 15 bbl fermenters.

jimvgjr
10-24-2013, 08:28 PM
Jim,

I was hoping you'd see this... Is there a good rule of thumb for how often a chiller pump should be able to turn over the total volume of the glycol system? I guess you'd need the pump curve to determine exactly what the flow rate would be when throttled back to, say, 15 psi, but is there a number I can use to figure out if a pump is even useful for my application?

Specifically, I'm considering using a 1/3 HP pump, rated 100 gph at 170 psi, for two 15 bbl fermenters.

Please give Peter or Rande a call at our Tech Support Dept (253-735-9466 or Petel@prorefrigeration.com), they can help determine what pump is needed. It doesn't appear the 1/3hp will be a good option- I'd look for something to deliver about 15-20 GPM @ 15 PSIG.

Good Luck,

Jim

a10t2
10-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Will do, thanks!