Sampling from a brite without a port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sampling from a brite without a port

I think my stone may either be clogged up, or loose and leaking giant bubbles, because I can't hear it flowing like I could on my previous 4 batches.

So, I need to take a sample to check carb (by taste, no meter yet). I don't have a side port other than the stone. I've got a top CIP port, a PRV, and a capped tri-clamp on top, and the bottom center drain.
    Should I just hook up a 10 foot length of 1/4 or 3/16 line to the bottom port and do it that way, or is there a better method?

Thanks,

Steve Llewellyn
    Function Brewing
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Steve Llewellyn
    Function Brewing
    Bloomington, Indiana

I would put a T on the bottom of the tank and one side have a butterfly with hot liquor behind it, and on the other have a sample port mounted to a 1.5" triclamp fitting. From there use a Zahm to test, or a pigtail to do the old mouth feel if you do not have a Zahm. One thing when you pasteurize the port let it cool down before sampling, the heat will force all the carbonation out instantly, or maybe drain a half gallon off first to cool the fittings down. Best of luck.

Sorry missed the no meter. Do you have a pigtail? How about a triclamp fitting that is closer to 3/16? The problem with a 10 length of hose is it will take a long time for the beer to cool that down, the hose acts a an insulator. The beer will lose temp and dissolved co2 cooling the line down. But if that is all you have... How about a small cornie keg? You could run a gallon off into a small cold keg under pressure and sample it through your draft system?
    Last edited by BrewinLou; 10-23-2013, 08:35 AM.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Joel,

Thanks for the response.
      To clarify, are you saying to use the hot liquor to pausterize the outlet on the brite, then taking a sample?..... Half gallon? That's a big chunk of a 3BBL batch

I can either rig up a pigtail, or I do have some cornies around. I suppose I could submerge the 10 ft line in a bucket of iced water to make sure I don't lose temp.
      Steve Llewellyn
      Function Brewing
      Bloomington, Indiana

Comment

Hi there,

Buy a sample valve from GW Kent and hook it up to your bottom center drain valve. This is how I check the carbonation on all of our single walled serving tanks that don't have sample ports.

Oops sorry I missed the part about no meter. Yes your best bet is a pigtail.

Good luck.
        Last edited by froptus; 10-25-2013, 01:59 PM.

Comment

One way or another your going to have to spend a little money, or lose a little beer in the name of quality control. The cheapest option (it will rely on your tongue's consistence) I can think of in your case would be to, buy a triclover sample port, and a pigtail. Spray your tanks bottom drain with Pure Grain, clamp on the sample port, screw down your pigtail on the sample port and pour yourself a pint. You will only lose a few pints to tune in your carbonation. I would buy a sixer of your favorite beer to have a base to judge against. Best of luck.
          Joel Halbleib
          Partner / Zymurgist
          Hive and Barrel Meadery
          6302 Old La Grange Rd
          Crestwood, KY
          www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Working...
          X