Direct Fire 7BBL Boil Kettle + Firebox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct Fire 7BBL Boil Kettle + Firebox

Hey all... wanted to get some thoughts on our firebox design. The firebox would be stainless... an inner ring, and an outer ring. We've been looking at an Economite 400,000 BTU burner, although I'd much rather have a 3 ring banjo/hurricane-style burner. I did look at Solarflo, but can't really wrap my head around what would be needed between the burner and the main gas line. How the firebox design works: the flame would come in to the inner ring, and it would flow around and out the vent. Seems pretty solid, but wanted to throw it out for discussion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BK-Firebox-01.png
Views:	1
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	193268Click image for larger version

Name:	BoilKettle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	193269

flame control

You will need a flame control relay. We use Honeywell. You will need two temperature controllers. One for setting and controlling and one for just over temp. The over temp protects the kettle should someone turn it on without any liquid in the tank. There is a low gas pressure switch and a high gas pressure switch that are also needed. Both of these have POC indication (Point of Closure) to assure the valves are in the right position at startup.

The Honeywell will control the initial fire starting time and flame detection. (Fire eye or Flame rod).
    You will need a local burner person to set up the system to make sure of Co2 gasses are all in order etc. We outsource this because of the technical and equipment needed for the initial setup. The gas burner supplier show be able to do this for you.

Comment

Thanks triple...

Do you have any pics of your set up? Is the Honeywell a 24V? I have a guy working with me who is a certified gas tech. Eventhough he does work in breweries a lot, mostly welding, he and I are still trying to figure out the set up.

Thanks

Comment

Mookdawg, did you ever get this built? How did the firebox design work out?

Currently looking at doing something similar and retrofitting a 400K BUT forced air burner to our 5BBL kettle. Any advise would be appreciated.

Cheers
        Zac

Comment

Originally posted by Wayki View Post
          Mookdawg, did you ever get this built? How did the firebox design work out?

Currently looking at doing something similar and retrofitting a 400K BUT forced air burner to our 5BBL kettle. Any advise would be appreciated.

Cheers
          Zac
          Hey Zac,

We built it and its still not very efficient. We lined the inside with firebrick, put a 4" firebrick wall up in front of the vent to block some of the heat escaping, we lined the area between the firebox and the kettle with ceramic wool, and we insulated the kettle with 1" thick armaflex. It's still taking about 2 hours to hit boil from mashout temps (150 gallons), and now we're facing boil off problems - only about a 5 gallon loss, which is giving us about a degree or two Plato in gravity. We're even doing 90 minute boils.

We've triple-checked all of the gas pressure, gone back to the burner manufacturer, had second and third opinions from other mechanical companies... ugh, its sucked and has put a giant dent in our original production calendar.

If I had to do it again, I'd get some investment to purchase a pre-built brewhouse from someone.

Probably not the response you wanted to read!

Comment

I can relate. We have been brewing on our current system for about 18 months now. And while it works, we are trying to find ways to make it more efficient and shorten the over all brew length so we can start brewing multiple batches a day.

Upgrading the burner was one idea, but retrofitting a new burner to our current 5bbl kettle is looking like a difficult task. Currently looking a the possibility of converting the kettle to a whirlpool tank and building a new kettle around the new burner.

Cheers
            Zac

Comment

Working...
            X