Anyone Build Their Own Glycol System?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Build Their Own Glycol System?

How many hp pump and what materials for plumbing? I've heard ABS is the preferred material.

Also, what route did you go for the control?

See this thread - we built units for tanks -it's a cheap way to start - see my post in the thread on how we built ours.

Comment

Originally posted by Emian View Post
      See this thread - we built units for tanks -it's a cheap way to start - see my post in the thread on how we built ours.

http://discussions.probrewer.com/sho...ller-questions
      Thanks. I had a question for you in the other thread.

Comment

Missing thread

I have saved the link from above about DIY glycol units. It doesn't seem to work or the thread is gone. Any ideas what's going on?

Comment

Don't know what happened to the thread - but we build our own chillers.
          • We start with a air conditioning unit and cut the back half of the cover off and expose the evaporator. You need to get an air con unit where the copper lines go up and over to the evaporator from the compressor.
          • We cut a pallet down and put it on casters. Mount a 70QT cooler on the pallet and put the air con unit next to it with the evaporator in the cooler (tank).
          • Use aluminum body pumps - you'll need one in the tank to keep the glycol circulating in the tank - and one for each tank you're going to cool.
          • Pull the control unit out, and wire the fan so that it's always on. Wire the compressor to a Johnson Controller witht he probe in the glycol.
          • Set the circulating pump to run constantly. Set the compressor to turn on at -3C and off at +3. Fill tank with a 33% glycol solution.
          • Place a second pumo in the tank turned on by a johnson controller for the fermenter.
          • A 5000 BTU AC unit will control 2 x 7bbl fermenters, crashing to 0C in under 12 hours.

Comment

Working...
          X