Bulk (loose) malt in shipping containers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulk (loose) malt in shipping containers

I have an over-seas malt supplier that will ship me a (bag-lined 20-ft) container of bulk malt for transfer into a silo, but I'm having trouble figuring out how I get the loose malt from container to silo.

Does anyone have experience getting loose malt from a container?

I don't think I want to use a pneumatic system - I hear it's hard on the malt.
    I've heard "just use a tipper trailer" but I'm not clear on how to get the container from the trailer it came on (belongs to the shipping line) to the tipper trailer.
    Also, how do I get a tipper trailer? What do I tip it into?
    Do I need to tip it to empty the bag or can I just cut the bag open?

Thanks for any help,

John

Hi there,

Where I used to work we received malt exactly this way - we just specified to the shipper to deliver it on a tipper trailer. They are the experts, so best leave the logistics to them, and keep your effort for making beer..... There may be a slight cost involved as normally there aren't too many tipper trailers available of course, and you'll need to book in the movement (just like any other truck movement).

Cheers,

Alex

Comment

Sorry, I just realised I only answered half of your question.

We used to tip into a hopper which fed an auger which in turn fed an bucket elevator which in turn fed an auger to the the top of the silos.

Where I currently work we pneumatically unload malt into our silos and we don't have any issues with lautering. Of course it is not "ideal", but we don't seem to have any issues (although it is a fairly short run from truck to silos). If you are going to do pneumatic conveying, however, ensure your dust handling is under control and silos are in a suitable location.

Cheers,

Alex

Comment

Working...
      X