Brewhouse Efficency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewhouse Efficency

I was hoping some of you might be able to help with a recommendation on how to squeeze out a higher efficency.

Here is my process and equipment

1. 3 roller grain mill. (320D series)
    2. Using a #14, 30 and 60 sieve I get 55% in the 14. 26% in the 30. 9% in the 60 and 10% in the pan
    3. 2BBL Mash tun. Direct fired
    4. I recirculate thru out the mash.
    5. 1.25Qt per LB of grain ratio (2.75 grist to water ratio)
    6. Normal mash temps are 150-152
    7. Mash for an hour then it takes about another 30 to mash out at 165
    8. Fly sparge with 168 degree water.
    9. Sparge at 1 Gal/min so it takes about 70-80 min to collect wort

Efficency has been 78% for the last 4 batches. Not the end of the world but in making larger gravity beers a 85-90% efficency would free up more mash tun space.

Any suggestions?

This is a pretty good read from a very knowledgeable cat. I would say loosen that mill up more as one possible improvement.

Tim Brophy
    Marshall Brewing
    Tulsa, OK

Comment

I read thru that and I'm a bit confused. A courser grind you would think would mean less endosperm exposed for conversion.

I based my crush % sieve goals on Briess instructions for normal crush.

They are recommending to get your crush in line with how I set my mill. i'm certainly willing to try it and adjust my mill to fall withing the other coarser specs but I'm thinking that will not result in higher yield.

Comment

Originally posted by imperialipa View Post
        I read thru that and I'm a bit confused. A courser grind you would think would mean less endosperm exposed for conversion.
        A fine crush also means denser mash beds and more risk of channeling. So it's a run-off issue, not a conversion issue.

Comment

I second what Nateo said. I've been using a RIMS mash on our pilot system and was having similar issues with channeling. Opened up the gap and presto, 90+ percent. Also you might consider increasing your Liquor:Grist ratio. 3.5:1 -4:1 is not unreasonable. You want to make sure the grain bed is submerged to prevent collapse and the thin mash isn't an issue as you're increasing the reaction rate by recirculating.

Comment

Ok. Will recalibrate my crush to a wider mill setting and increase my grist ratio. I'm brewing a stout next so I will post back on if I got a bump in efficency

Comment

Working...
            X