Lauter and Runoff Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lauter and Runoff Question

Our mash tun has over 200 Gallons~800 Litres underneath our false bottom screens. This seems like a lot to me for our 30BBL mash/lauter tun.
    I've looked around and found that the average should be about ~5-6%...does anybody have better info about this?

In one of our light beers, we strike 800kgs of grist at 3:1 with 2,400 Litres then we should have about 150 litres underneath our false bottom (restated in US units 1750#s of malt/650 Gallons of strike water should be about 2 BBLS underneath the screens).

As a result of having so much space under our false bottom we encounter the following probelms:
    difficult to clean (must remove screen after each and every brew)
    long vorlauf times (45 mins - 1.2hrs)
    long runoff times (3.5+ hrs)
    long grain out before next batch (1 hr)

As a solution, I was wondering if there were better runoff/sparging techniques in particular that would be more suitable for our equipment limitations, such as perhaps in our case it is better to batch sparge rather than fly sparge or underlet or draw off quicker or vorlauf differently...?

I've tried using rice hulls recently up to about 10% with limited success, actually i feel like it got worse and there were other unacceptable trade-offs.

Any opinions on this would be much appreciated. I'm ok with long brewing days but as we scale up to 4 batches a day we are going to face some serious increased costs.

Thanks and Cheers!
    Alex Postelnek, Lead Brewer
    Funky Buddha Brewery
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33334
    (561) 945 - 4584
    alex@funkybuddhabrewery.com
Working...
X