Cleaning and Sanitation Procedures for Startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning and Sanitation Procedures for Startup

As a new startup, we've been asked by our local health department to provide cleaning and sanitization procedures for each piece of brewery equipment including chemicals. From my research, it appears every brewery has their own procedures that may be a little different from others (more than one way to skin a cat). Are there any "best practices/procedures" and chemicals most often used by small breweries that are both safe and cost effective that we should consider? I did receive a guide from Five Star Chemicals about cleaning and sanitization, but thought I would circle back to determine which chemicals were the most appropriate for us. For example, there are so many cleaners - should we use alkaline versus acid cleaners - just so much to consider when looking at the available cleaners. I think initially they recommended PBW, Acid - 5, and Saniclean

Any feedback is welcome.

Not sure how big you're going to be, but I'd also consider contacting Brian Campbell at Loeffler Chemical...he can probably provide you with a written set of procedures that would fit the bill.

Comment

Whilst contacting Brian sounds very sensible, do try to keep the basic procedure as simple as the local authority will allow - for instance

to clean an FV -

"Rinse with water for sufficient time to remove loose solids and flush to drain." From sounds of things, yours will be a fairly small setup at this stage and is unlikely to be using recovered rinse water, so you could say "rinse with fresh water ..."

Assuming you have sprayballs or similar then "recirculate with detergent until all physical traces of plant removed from surfaces"

"Rinse off detergent and loosened solids until plant rinse water clear and same pH as source water"

Assuming you then use a sanitiser

"recirculate sanitiser at concentration recommended by supplier for sufficient time to kill any remaining contaminants"

"Rinse off sanitiser with fresh water until all traces of sanitiers removed"

If you can get away with this, then it allows you to change times, concentrationsm detergent and sanitisers types. What you are showing is that you understand the need to achieve certain conditions at the end of each sterp, and you have the ability to check that these conditions are met.

DON'T specify temperatures / times etc because they will vary from brewery to brewery, and chemical supplier to supplier. If you specify them, then they can come back to you if you ever change supplier, or for instance find that you can get away with less time, or need longer time etc.

This is the sort of spec used when specifying ISO standards of control, but you should have a spec for that particular chemical used, at that time, and record if and when changed, and why (ISO type control).

Cheers
      dick

Comment

Originally posted by SEBC View Post
        As a new startup, we've been asked by our local health department to provide cleaning and sanitization procedures for each piece of brewery equipment including chemicals. From my research, it appears every brewery has their own procedures that may be a little different from others (more than one way to skin a cat). Are there any "best practices/procedures" and chemicals most often used by small breweries that are both safe and cost effective that we should consider? I did receive a guide from Five Star Chemicals about cleaning and sanitization, but thought I would circle back to determine which chemicals were the most appropriate for us. For example, there are so many cleaners - should we use alkaline versus acid cleaners - just so much to consider when looking at the available cleaners. I think initially they recommended PBW, Acid - 5, and Saniclean

Any feedback is welcome.
        Your five star rep is actually a very good source for chemical selection. They can certainly help you select chemicals appropriate for your particular brewhouse, and establish a cleaning SOP. That said, PBW, Star-San and Acid 5 are a common starting point. I prefer Star-San's foamyness, because it gets into all of the cracks and crevices, and is re-useable as long as you monitor the pH. One word of warning - the pump they supply for 5-gallon buckets doesn't match the bungs they use. I recommend a 3rd party pump for any 5 gallon pails. Also, I've found that five star has excellent pricing on hose if you know what to ask for. The novaflex 1.5ID can be had for 9.50 a foot in quantity, which is less expensive than any other 1.5id brewer's hose I've seen. Best of luck. Make sure you have a SOP for sanitation before you start.
        Noah A. Bolmer

Barley and Hops Tavern
        Occidental, CA
        www.barleynhops.com

Warped Brewing Company
        Sebastopol, CA

Comment

Thank you all for your feedback. I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but we are going to be brewing on a 15 BBL system. I have contacted Five Star and will reach out to Loeffler as well. I've also reached out to my local breweries and some have provided valuable information.

Comment

I would also contact Birko, they have been great to us.

Comment

Working...
            X