Fermentis dried yeasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermentis dried yeasts

Listened to the Fermentis presentation in Philadelphia with interest and wondered what experiences anyone has had using these yeasts. I am doing some tests with the Safale S-04 and Safbrew S-33 and so far am pleased. Easy to work with and store, cheap, and the flavor profiles seem to be working. Anyone have any negatives or thoughts on the matter?

I've used most of the line up so far.

The biggest drawback is the price. I have repitched them without too much problem, although that isnt recommended.

If the cost isn't an issue keep using them as they are easy to use.

The flavor profiles are good, and I havent had any problems with bacteria from them. Although I dont use them more than the initial pitch, and maybe the next generation.

Good Luck,
    B

Comment

Dried yeasts

I was forced to try these yeasts in a brewery where sales were slipping, and propagation was no longer practical. The results were pretty much as good as with liquid yeasts, as I recall the generations did not go as far was the main drawback. But the price, variety and ease of use more than made up for it. As far as I know, this brewery is still using them with some success. It really dropped the "homebrew" attitude I had toward dried yeasts. Go for it if it works for you!
      Paul Thomas
      Brewer
      Sockeye Brewing
      www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Safale

I'm a big fan of Safale yeasts, flavors are elegant, fermentations are consistent. I do however find beers that we have used Safale US-56 to be quite lively
        at racking (into cask) sometimes too lively !

The yeast flocculates well also...we've done an organic cask bitter that dropped bright without Isinglass.

I think the cost is worth it.

Tariq (Dark Star Brewery)
        Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
        Vancouver, B.C.
        Canada

Comment

A question regarding pitching this brand of yeast, the instructions on the pack recommend either rehydrating into a quantity of wort and then pitching the mix into the fermenter, or sprinkling on top of the wort as it is going into the fermenter.

Does anyone use the second method (it's obviously easier!), and if so, can you please compare the results with the first?
          Last edited by jipjanneke; 07-18-2005, 04:25 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

I just carefully (and as sanitarily as possible) added the dry yeast to the wort throught the manway as it was pumping out of the heat exchanger into the fermenter. Close the manway, spray down with iodophor and finish my knockout -- I usually had active fermentation within 4-5 hours.

YMMV, as usual.
            "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

I've used S-04, S-189, W34-70 and K-97 a few years back when I set up a brewery for folks who wanted it as simple as possible. Dried yeasts offer the benefit of anytime use with no propagation logistics. The S-04 was a great yeast. The others were, unfortunately, miserable. I switched to propagation with liquid cultures for the benefit of the better results with the other beers. Since then, I believe DCL has retooled their product line and may have worked out flavor problems that I encountered.
              Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

clarify

Originally posted by gitchegumee
                I've used S-04, S-189, W34-70 and K-97 a few years back when I set up a brewery for folks who wanted it as simple as possible. Dried yeasts offer the benefit of anytime use with no propagation logistics. The S-04 was a great yeast. The others were, unfortunately, miserable. I switched to propagation with liquid cultures for the benefit of the better results with the other beers. Since then, I believe DCL has retooled their product line and may have worked out flavor problems that I encountered.
                great yeast
                miserable
                what exactly do you mean with these descriptions. They are not valuble when ascertaining the value of a product.
                Doug A Moller
                Brewmaster
                The Moller Brew House
                (405)226-3111

Comment

Right, sorry. The S-04 was great: Because it cropped well from cylindroconicals, had fast, reliable fermentations and consistent OGs, AND it offered me a way out of logistical issues with culturing five different yeasts for six different beers using 13 fermenters. It's also handy if you somehow ruin your expected yeast pitch for the day. It stores well, ferments clean, and is easy to use.
                  The others were miserable: Because I had excessive lag times using the lager yeasts at 11C. The flavors were not within style. I would have to pull notes I wrote (that I don't have here) to better describe the flavors. The W-34/70 was particularly weak with any weizen flavor notes. The yeasts flocced poorly. I remember very runny yeast pulls.
                  I used them for the first time almost three years ago, ran several batches, and gave up with them except for the S-04. I recall hearing that the W-34/70 may have been taken off the market briefly for a product retool a while back. Maybe just a rumor.
                  Hope this helps! Cheers!
                  Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Website?

Can anyone provide a US source for this yeast? Sounds like something I may want to look at...

Thanks,
                    Scott

Comment

Source for Fermentis

Crosby and Baker. Get in touch with Jon. Great product, Have had very good results.

Comment

I have used the lager strains when I have not had a extra tank to prop with. Made a very nice bock and pilsner. I used two bricks for a 11.5 bbl pitch to avoid problems though. (still the same cost liquid prop up) Also a great thing to have around for stuck fermentations, lack of enough yeast crop, ect.
                        Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
                        tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
                        "Your results may vary"

Comment

S23 lager

Guys,

I've been using s23 saflager on a homebrew scale and have had good results with this yeast, even fermenting up into high ale temps, without noticable (by me) side effects.

Has anyone used this yeast beyond the homebrew level? I've used it across a couple styles with varying fermentation parameters and haven't been disappointed...been repitching once before buying a new pack.

Chrs,
                          Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
                          Chairman of the Beer
                          Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
                          Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
                          W: www.lovibonds.com
                          F: LovibondsBrewery
                          T: @Lovibonds

Comment

Rosie,
                            I used Safale S-04 a commercial brewery (20bbl), and had great results. Highly flocculant, clean ferment, nice crisp profile on my IPA.
                            Last edited by RobZamites; 12-31-2005, 01:28 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
                            "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

Originally posted by Rosie
                              Guys,

I've been using s23 saflager on a homebrew scale and have had good results with this yeast, even fermenting up into high ale temps, without noticable (by me) side effects.

Has anyone used this yeast beyond the homebrew level? I've used it across a couple styles with varying fermentation parameters and haven't been disappointed...been repitching once before buying a new pack.

Chrs,
                              we've used it for our california common and fermented at high temp....about 68 degrees. Worked well and had a distinctly different flavor than safale s-04.

Comment

Working...
                              X