Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie intro

Hey, all.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I felt that it was time I registered and became active in this forum.

I am a defense contractor who is quickly becoming fed up with this industry. My job consists of staring at a computer screen all day until my eyes attain the "thousand yard stare". It's awful, I tell's ya!

Anyways, most of you have read the stories of people ditching their 9-to-5 jobs for greener pastures (at least spiritually) as a brewer. Hopefully, in a couple years, I will be doing the same. (maybe not ditching, completly, per se, but augmenting my current job)

I've been a homebrewer since college and have really found that I would love to make this a (small) business in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. (There are currently only 2 craft brewers in this area of ~1.6 million people.)

Anyways, I'll be popping in and out from time to time to ask, what may seem to the old-pros here, probably some dumb questions. I just want to say "thanks" ahead of time and I am looking forward to the discussions!

Brian

Hey, if you could brew anything you wanted, what would you brew? Ales, lagers, British style, German, Belgain? What's your competition brewing in your area? Don't worry, I'm from Rhode Island, I'm not looking to steal anyones ideas. It's interesting to hear new concepts, the "it's craft beer and way better than Bud, so everyone will love it" isn't a concept anymore. I've had way better home brew than some "micros". It's no shock why so many small brewers have come and gone so quickly. Take your time and come up with something great. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress, Sepp

Comment

Well, Sepp, that's a fair question.

I'm the son of a Sudetendeutscherin and grew up in Bavaria. I left Bavaria to finish school in the US when I was 21 years old.

If this plan of mine works out, I would like to stay true to my roots, brewing the beers I was raised on: Munich Helles, Dunkles, Hefeweizen, Kristall Weizen, Bock, Maibock, Doppelbock.

One of the biggest disappointments I've had in enjoying American beer is finding a proper Hefeweizen. So, I think that'll be my first endevour and my first commercial offering.

I think my first task will be to learn the nuances of multi-decoction mashing to emulate this style of beer on my homebrew setup.

Brian

Comment

My wife and I came back from a trip to Bavaria and missed it so much we dropped in to what at the time was our local micro/brew pub, and ordered what before our trip what we thought was great hefe weizen, only to be sorely dissapointed. We have since moved out of state from that micro, but still have not found a domestic microbrewed weizen that even comes close to anything we enjoyed in Bayern. I hope you can replicate the Bavarian method. If you do, it will sell. You know that. Tschuse, Sepp.

Comment

Working...
        X