Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hazy Pale Ale

Hi All...
    For the past 4 batches or so my pale ale has been coming out hazy. The first hazy batch was the result of a stuck mash and ever since then I have not had a bright pale. I am using a plate and frame filter, that would be the same plate and frame that I use on my other beers with out any haze problems. I had a few other hazy batchs of an Irish Red and Amber ale, but I slowed the rate at which I pushed it through the filter (lowered the pressure on the feed tank) and all was,and still is, well. There is a good amount of hops in the beer, which I know can contribute to haze, but I brew other beers with comparable hopping rates with out a problem. I am running out of ideas and at this point I am willing to try anything to remedy the problem...any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Pete

Chill Stabilize?

Comment

Have you ruled out your yeast? Is your temperature probe in the mash tun correct? HLT temperature probe correct? Is the beer in the feed tank ice cold and aged long enough? Can you centrifuge the haze out and look at it under a microscope? So many things can throw a haze, it's hard to know without more specifics. Good luck!
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Hi,

If you don't have a microscope to look for yeast, you can mix a bit of caustic in with a sample of beer, if it goes clear it is chill haze. If it is still hazy, yeast? beta glucans?

Alex

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys....
          I am fairly certain that it is not a chill haze as it does not go away upon warming...though I will try the caustic trick.
          While I lack the means to completely rule out a problem with the yeast (no microscope or centrifuge) it is unlikely as I use the same yeast on other ales that filter just fine...and as far as aging the beer is concerned, while I'm sure it certainly would not hurt to condition longer, I push out other beers with the same yeast and shorter aging with out a problem....
          I am trying different malt bills and the next time I brew it I am going to try adjusting my mill and see what happens...

Thanks Again!

Pete

Comment

I stand corrected

So it appears that it IS a chill haze in my pale ale....I guess I never had a pint long enough for it to go away and the beer does not stay in the SV long enough either, but adding a little bit of caustic cleared the beer right up and just to verify I left a pint in the brewhouse for about an hour....so does anyone have any recommendations for how to get rid of it while the beer is on tap and/or how to prevent it on my next filtration....Im still baffled as to why this is the only beer this happens to, but at least now I know what it is...
            Thanks!

Pete

Comment

haze

a couple things to consider....
              step infusion mashing (protein conversion and liquification).
              mash out at 177, strength of boil....
              I like 5 Stars SuperMoss that combined with the above, my filter doesnt even break a sweat. The old german method is to put the wort in a holding tank before the fermentation tank for around 8 hrs and then rack the cold break.
              Just food for thought...........
              Mike

Comment

Working...
              X