Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Red hue in beer

Gday,
    I'm thinking of making a marzen style beer, but towards the higher end of the EBC scale (top end is 36EBC I think). I was planning to use 70% Vienna malt at 10EBC, 28% Munich at 25EBC, and was after that nice intense red hue. I was thinking that Roast malted barley at say 2% would be the best ingredient to get this red colour. I've not made many red ales/lagers so am interested to see what people use and in what proportions.
    Andrew Morgan-Jones
    Brewer

Although I think you are on the right track with black malt for an intense red color, I also think 2% would be too much for your Marzen. Try 1% to start. Let us know how this works for you.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I find that a little dark malt vs alot of lighter color malt gives a red hue vs amber. For example my pale and Irish Red are about the same "darkness" by calculation. The pale uses light and mid carmel malts (15%) but the red has less carmel (9%) and chocolate/black barley- (1%). The red is noticable "redder" and apperars darker. I also suggest start with 1% Black malt (>500 lovabond) as even this amount will have noticable flavor.
      Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
      tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
      "Your results may vary"

Comment

Red Hue

You are right in using the Black malt. You may also want to look into the Debittered Black Carafa malt. I just did a Marzen using all Pilsner with Vienna and added 1.0% Debittered Black. I nailed my color, and didn't get any of the harsh flavors from traditional black grains.

I was shooting for an amber; if I wanted to go darker red, I would have upped the Vienna and the black. Good Luck!
        Last edited by Triose; 07-21-2005, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X