Problems with Biofine Clear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Biofine Clear

I am having issues dialing in our Biofine process. I have tried several methods to dose the unitank with no real success.Here is my process:

Harvest yeast
    Crash tank to 33 F
    2 Days after crash, I dose by pulling from sample port to a tee and drive in Biofine, 120mL/bbl via co2 at pump inlet
    I dose slowly over 45 minutes, wit the racking arm pointed up and 45 degree angle away from sample port.
    After mixing, I bubble co2 gently through the racking arm periodically throughout the day.

I take samples the next day, and each subsequent day, from the sample port in 25mL cylinders. They all drop crystal clear within 24hrs. The issue I'm having is the tank is not clearing. even after 4-5 days from fining, the beer in transfer is quite cloudy.I'm using 30bbl unitanks for both ferment and cold crash. Any ideas on how to fix these issues are greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Brian Sullivan
    Head Brewer
    3 Sheeps Brewing
    Sheboygan, WI

Brian,

I assume you're using a pump with VFD? Bubbling CO2 through after dosing seems (to me) like you'd be constantly volleying everything you're trying to settle out.

After I dump yeast and trub (beer is crashed). I dose our beers from 75ml/bbl to 100ml/bbl and they are always bright the next day.

I go from sample port to pump in, pump out to racking arm (pointed roughly 90*), my T for dosing is on the Racking arm port, dosing intermittently for a few minutes til Biofine clear is all in, then let recirc for 30 min.
    Weston Barkley
    Brewer
    Joseph James Brewing Company

Comment

Hey Ton,

Thanks for the info. I need to do the finings again this week, so I will try a lower dose rate, and drop the co2 charge. we will see how it goes.

Cheers!

Comment

Do I understand you correctly, that you are bubbling CO2 through on a regular basis after adding the finings? If you are, you are, as previously noted, not allowing the yeast etc to settle out.

As for changing the finings rate - you should carry out a trial to optimise the finings. The finings capability varies with yeast strain, beer type, OG / ABV, pH etc. - so what works for one brewery doesn't necessarily work for another. If you do happen to be using more than necessary, then normally all that happens is you get rather fluffy bottoms, but the beer is bright enough. Do this once you have crash cooled, at the point you would normally add finings. If you get the rate right, then you should only need 24 to 36 hours for the beer to clear, so will still be in time to package.
        dick

Comment

I was adding the co2 periodically for about 2-3 hours after the dosing.

I tried several dosing rates settling around 140 mL/bbl. After talking to a few people on the supply side, I hope to have figured out the issue. When I am crashing the tanks prior to fining, the glycol jackets are running rather frequently to maintain 33F. The thought is in the 30bbl unitanks, I am developing a convection current that keeps everything from settling. This helps to explain why all the samples I have removed from the tank would drop crystal clear within 8-10hrs, but the sight glass on the racking arm when I would try to transfer were always cloudy even after 72hrs.

To fix the issue I am still going to crash prior to fining, but turn the temp control to 40 after fining to allow the beer to settle out. Hopefully that will work.

Thanks for your inputs.

Cheers!

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by mountainbrew View Post
            I was adding the co2 periodically for about 2-3 hours after the dosing.

I tried several dosing rates settling around 140 mL/bbl. After talking to a few people on the supply side, I hope to have figured out the issue. When I am crashing the tanks prior to fining, the glycol jackets are running rather frequently to maintain 33F. The thought is in the 30bbl unitanks, I am developing a convection current that keeps everything from settling. This helps to explain why all the samples I have removed from the tank would drop crystal clear within 8-10hrs, but the sight glass on the racking arm when I would try to transfer were always cloudy even after 72hrs.

To fix the issue I am still going to crash prior to fining, but turn the temp control to 40 after fining to allow the beer to settle out. Hopefully that will work.

Thanks for your inputs.

Cheers!

Brian
            Hey Brian,

I know this is pretty far after the fact, but how did that method work out for you guys?

Comment

Working...
            X