yeast harvest question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yeast harvest question

question: if two yeast strains are pitched dry 1 part us-05 2 parts s-33, is it possible to harvest yeast from this tank to pitch to other batches? any help is appreciated thanks

for a few gens

What I was told at a white labs seminar is that a mixed strain culture can be used for a few generations. After 3-5 one will become dominant.

I think the biggest issue is how each strain flocculates. I'm not familiar with the strains you mention, but I think it would be possible.

If you try it, report back on your findings!

Comment

Originally posted by porter View Post
      What I was told at a white labs seminar is that a mixed strain culture can be used for a few generations. After 3-5 one will become dominant.

I think the biggest issue is how each strain flocculates. I'm not familiar with the strains you mention, but I think it would be possible.

If you try it, report back on your findings!
      One will dominate immediately. This dominance will become more prevalent as the generations continue. Given similar conditions, one strain will be more 'aggressive' or 'healthy' (not necessarily the same thing) than the other.

That might not necessarily be a bad thing but you, and perhaps your customers will notice the batch to batch variation/migration.

Will the mix ultimately stabilize? Probably.

With my dried yeasts, I find I can only realistically get three generations out of them before they need replacement. I wonder if this will be long enough for the mixture to stabilize before refreshing/replacement. Perhaps with yeast foods/supplements/energizers?

Pax.

Liam
      Liam McKenna
      www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

One time I order a lager yeast, and when it came in it was contaminated with a Belgian strain of yeast. In the original batch I pitched the yeast the Belgian strain was barely noticeable, and not really until it was completely done fermenting and crashed. I pull the yeast and used it in a second batch, not knowing the yeast was contaminated. The Belgian strain characteristics were much more pronounced in the second beer. The first beer we served and almost no one noticed the difference. The second batch we had changed the name of the beer because it was so different. The yeast supplier sent us a new batch of lager yeast at their cost.

Jim Lieb

Comment

Working...
        X