Plastic fermenter sealing and contamination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic fermenter sealing and contamination

For anyone else using plastics, and anyone else with input, I am wondering how you are sealing around the lid. I've looked for gaskets/seals without much luck. I have had a couple contamination issues and have wondered if that could be it. Anyone have a system for sealing around the lid? Do you think the lack of a seal, and subsequent possible air flow in, with minor temperature variation, after fermentation is complete is an issue? I dry hop most of my beers so they are in the fermenters for a while. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I am Assuming you are talking about the standard 60 degree plastic conical a from plastic mart with a screw on lid.

No, your contamination issues are not causes by the unsealed lid. Keep in mind many breweries use open top fermenters and dairy tank fermenters that don't completely seal.

Your contamination issues most likely stem from the plastic being porous. We have the same fermenters and the only way we have found to ensure a good clean, sanitized fermenter is to CIP spray 180 degree water for about 3 cycles before you sanitize with star san. We use the hot water from our heat exchanger after the boil.

As far as the seal goes... You could do it a number of ways. A neighboring brewery of ours was able to source a perfect fitting gasket for their plastic fermenters. You could also buy some gasket material and cut it out to fit. Or you could probably even use some silicone caulk around the entire lid in a pinch.

In order to get a true seal you pretty much need two gaskets between both the lid and the lid insert, and between the lid insert and the body of the fermenter.

Comment

Thanks Dan. I'll try your hot water treatment and see how this batch goes.
      Your input is much appreciated.

Comment

Plactic fermenter lid seal

The perfect seal well maybe not perfect but I used a fermenter lid seal from Stout Tanks. All blow off comes thru blow off tube not out threads or lid. , Unscrew the threaded insert, place seal over outside edge of the insert, screw back in place. Creates seal between insert and plastic tank and between lid and insert. Do not over tighten, just plastic and we replaced screws with stainless steel ones. We have had no problems with seal. As far as contamination, I made a lid with a spray ball in it and CIP - clean, clean, clean and rinse several time with hot water, then PAA and never have had a contamination issue. Sanitize just before placing in use, which zi am sure you are doing. I only use them for pilot batches but have had the plastic-mart conicals for over 6 years. Keep clean and resist using a metal handled brush on the inside. I use the long handled kettle brush from Fox with food grade plastic handle. Good luck.
        Marty

Comment

Thanks Marty. I've dealt with Stout before and will contact them. Great to hear that you guys have both had good success with these.
          Dan, what size/flow rate/pressure/specific pump do you use with your CIP? I think I'm under powered and not getting it as thorough as I need. Any info would be great. I have the 110 gal ferms.
          Thanks again

Comment

One other question, not to hijack. When cleaning/sanitizing do you strip these down to get to the threaded fittings or just leave it together and use the sprayball?

Comment

Hey Marty, just to confirm, was that the seal for the 7 gallon fermenter? Kind of a deep U on its side in cross section? It's 300 mm so it looks right.
              Here's a link. I know it says 15 gallon in link, but it goes to the 7.
              Use this lid gasket with the Stout Tanks 7 gallon and 12 gallon conical fermenters. Looking for something else? We have 1,000's of products in stock. Take a Look >>

Thanks
              Mike
              Last edited by fredipa; 12-13-2013, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Seal

It looks right. It has been so long since I bought them but it is that seal, I am not sure of the size
                Marty

Comment

Thanks Marty.

Comment

Fred,
                    We use a 1/2 hp barracuda sump pump submerged in 180 degree water that cycles through a DIY CIP system we made. Works great for us. You can mount a CIP ball through a bucket lid and it will fit perfectly on top In the opening of the fermenter.

We use some 110 gal fermenters also.

I usually clean my fittings every 3rd batch or so. Definitely a good idea to keep a spray bottle of star San around and spray religiously.
                    Last edited by Junkyard; 12-15-2013, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X