Preferred hose size or pressure to fill keg from brite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferred hose size or pressure to fill keg from brite

Is there a preferred hose size or head pressure to use when filling a keg from a brite tank? Is one size more opt to create more foam than another? I am making reference to the hose size from the tank to the keg filler or filling coupler depending on setup.

I had asked this question earlier in regards to draft lines diameter, length, resistance and PSI effecting foam. While it certainly plays into pouring beer from a tap the answers I got back from the community is that when filling bright to keg is that its not the same.

If your bright is pressurized say at 12 psi. Your empty keg is pressurized at say 14 psi when you hook the two up you keep letting pressure out of the keg until beer flows from bright to keg. Since its a equal pressure transfer the counter pressure created prevents foaming regardless of the diameter or length of the hose.

Or at least that is my rudimentary understanding. Perhaps someone else can elaborate.

Comment

Originally posted by imperialipa View Post
      I had asked this question earlier in regards to draft lines diameter, length, resistance and PSI effecting foam. While it certainly plays into pouring beer from a tap the answers I got back from the community is that when filling bright to keg is that its not the same.

If your bright is pressurized say at 12 psi. Your empty keg is pressurized at say 14 psi when you hook the two up you keep letting pressure out of the keg until beer flows from bright to keg. Since its a equal pressure transfer the counter pressure created prevents foaming regardless of the diameter or length of the hose.

Or at least that is my rudimentary understanding. Perhaps someone else can elaborate.
      This seems to hold true in a general sense. It was my observation that the main cause of foaming is related to the agitation of the beer as it is transferred. If I filled slowly at the beginning (maybe until the stem gap inside was covered?) and then sped up the filling until near the top, slowing for the last few inches; I would get very very little foam. On the other hand if I filled too quickly in the beginning, I would fight foam for the rest of the fill.

Be aware you can vent the keg faster than it can fill with beer, so you can create a pressure differential that will allow the carbonation to come out of solution. (Break the counter pressure)

I found it best to keep my kegs below my bright pressure. (10psi, and 15psi) I then would fill kegs with the gas vent closed. Obviously the keg would stop filling once the pressure in the keg has equilibrated with the bright tank. Then I would slowly bleed the gas vent, and eventually open it approximately 50%. Any more would create negative pressure in the keg and allow the co2 to come out (foam). Stalling a few seconds before opening the gas vent allows any foam to settle or redissolve.

If your kegs are at 14psi and bright at 12psi, you will blow co2 into the bright. That would disrupt any settling that has taken place, and you also risk contamination into your whole bright, instead of a single keg.

Fwiw.

Comment

We go from our brite to our kegging manifold with 1" ID brewers hose. Then from the manifold to the sankys are 5/16" ID, I believe. When transferring keep the head pressure the same or slightly higher than your equilibrium pressure. You dont want CO2 coming back out of solution. And we always over pressure our kegs above our transfer pressure by just a few PSI. As long as you're diligent in your keg cleaning you will never have a problem. We haven't. We run sight glasses in line and the pressure difference never blasts CO2 back into the bright . It just keeps it from flowing into the kegs until you crack the valve on the sanky open SLOWLY and watch the beer start flowing in. We almost never have any foam when filling kegs. They go straight to beer. Also, with this set up we fill 5 kegs at a time and 1/6 barrels take about 2-3 minutes and 1/2 barrels about 5-6.
        Last edited by Greenbushguy; 01-18-2014, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X