Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building yeast for a 10bbl batch of beer

Hello,
    Does anyone have experience building enough yeast to ferment one 10bbl batch starting with 1vial of liquid yeast.
    I read somewhere on this forum that some people do a 10 gallon starter to ferment a 30bbl batch.
    We were thinking of doing it this way: 2L starter --> 5gallon --> 10bbl
    Should we add a step in between the 5 gallon and the 10bbl?
    should we skip the 2L starter and go straight to 5 gallon to decrease the inoculation rate and increase the yield factor?
    Cheers

Originally posted by Old Glory View Post
    Hello,
    Does anyone have experience building enough yeast to ferment one 10bbl batch starting with 1vial of liquid yeast.
    I read somewhere on this forum that some people do a 10 gallon starter to ferment a 30bbl batch.
    We were thinking of doing it this way: 2L starter --> 5gallon --> 10bbl
    Should we add a step in between the 5 gallon and the 10bbl?
    should we skip the 2L starter and go straight to 5 gallon to decrease the inoculation rate and increase the yield factor?
    Cheers
    The volume of your starter is rather irrelevant. What really matters is the cell count of the pitch. For example, a very poor 5 gallon starter may have the same amount of cells as a very vigorous 2 liter starter.

To be specific, you could look up the recommended pitch rate for your yeast strain and wort volume and count cells until you reach that goal. Think of the starter as a mini batch of light gravity beer. Would you under pitch your main batch? Then why would you under pitch (or over wort) your starter? You will be stressing the yeast instead of propagating it.

If you aren't willing to do the cell counts and good clean propagation, then just buy a full batch pitch and harvest and baby it to get 10-15 generations from it.

Just my .02

Comment

I think he was just looking for a starting point... If you buy a fresh vial, you can assume it has the proper cell counts.
      I have been told to step it up ten fold each time, so if you have a three oz vial, a two liter starter. this to 2.5 gallons, and this to 25 gallons for a ten barrel pitch.
      Good Luck,
      David

ps Chris White's yeast book is very readable, recommend it.

Comment

Is it best to pitched the entire 25 gallons or should we try to decant and collect the yeast the slurry?

Comment

Pitch the whole thing

Comment

Joe Brewer,

can you give me a little more of an indepth idea of this process. for example washing and reusing yeast on the homebrew scale (5 gal or 10 gal batches) is farily easy. what does this look like, and what is the process on the 10bbl side? send me a PM is you need. thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
            X